Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MOPAR RULES!
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres what it is a 98 3.9 auto 4x4 CC dakota.... it keeps burnin up computers when you put it in reverse..... does fine runs fine when it has a good computer on it while going forward.. soon as you put it in reverse it starts running crappy then quits running and won't start/run unless you put another computer on it ... could just drive it forward all the time but i'm not a Duke boy ... so my thoughts are to change the wiring harness .. i think its in the wiring ...but any other ideas or has anyone had one do this??? any input would be appreciated thanks WD

·
I hate you people.
2,837 Posts
Sounds like you have a neutral safety switch pulling excess current and is backfeeding to the PCM, my best guess at that.
98 Dak's and Dur's are known for having PCM problems, so your not alone on this. But, frying when going in reverse?:huh: That's a new one to me.
Or, you have loose grounds all over and when going into reverse, they loose connection to the chassis and current builds up to damaging levels.

·
MOPAR RULES!
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pcm fryin

Yeah it was a new one to me to but i looked at the truck and someone has put some toggle switches for something on the bottom of the dash .... and looked like some of the wiring had been hot comming from the fuse box/center under the hood . ( but thought this would be the best place to start on fixing it ). i'm planning on pulling the harness maybe just change it instead of going thru it . i will still open the harness up and see what it looks like in there...hopefully its just the wiring and i dont burn up another pcm after changing the wiring! but thanks for the input! this one could turn out to be a fun one to fix lol but if anyone else has had a prob like this i'm open for ideas . Thanks guys WickedDak!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts