Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a '98 Durango and need more heat from the heater system. I have replaced the thermostat and have flushed out the coolant system. The gauge was reading around 180 before the service and now after the service/replacement it hasnt moved. Only warm air comes out from vents. The temp here past days are at 0 degrees and really would like some help with this. :help:

·
Registered
121 Posts
ahhh and i thought it was just me :help: I just fixed my bypass hose today, and now it seams i can't even get her up to 180 in 50 degree weather, i waited and waited and the gauge hardly moved, then i turned on the heater, and even on full blast it just isn't coming out the way it used to, we need a solution, maybe ill try to contact the stealership for some solutions.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This problem I guess only affects the years '98 and '99. I hear the problems but any answers out there??

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
well... lets think through this a little bit. Your engine makes a SH!T pile of heat... so there's no problem there. The water from the engine then travels over some coils... that air is passed through... well.. you can't exactly FIX/IMPROVE on that aspect. The ONLY way that I see... to improve your heat... would be changing the t-stat of your motor from whatever you have... to a higher temp for the winter months. This will keep the hot water in your engine longer... before it relays to your front radiator where it is then cooled. Also... you could wrap your heater hoses that go from your engine to your firewall (or whatever hose it is... that goes from your engine.... to your heater unit) with some sort of termal wrap... those hoses... while they seem thick... can DEFINATELY decrease the temperature of the water when the temp outside is 0... or there abouts.

Thats just me thinking through it logically. Try it sometime!

Paul

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More heat .

I had the same problem with my 99 Dakota.
Removed heater hose used compressed air
to blow out trash and small deposits from
heater core and installed 195 deg. thermostat.
make sure to blow both ways on heater hoses
then backflush cooling system. Now I have to
turn temp control knob down to about half way
or start sweat.

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
The problem is the heater core needs to be flushed!! Someone on this site did a back flush by hooking up the garden hose to the heater system and was able to flush out all the deposits and crap. And now his heater is working like new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts