Dakota Durango Forum banner

98 3.9 wont idle

4K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  95neonman 
#1 ·
I have a 98 dakota with a 3.9 in it, and i have been having problems with it idling. When the truck is completly cold it will start up and idle fine, however if you shut it off and try to start it back up while it is still warm it doesnt want to idle. If you pull the negative battery terminal off and reset the ecu, it will run fine for awhile then start doing the same thing. I cleaned the iac port on the throttle body and replace the iac valve (with a used one i had laying around) it ran fine for awhile then started doing the same thing. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Should i try replacing the iac with a brand new one?

#3 ·
I tried changing the tps sensor and still does the same thing. Starts up and idles fine when cold, but if you start it warm it wont idle. I can give it some gas and it will eventually clear up and idle. Seems like it loads up a bit when it does this because i can smell the fuel.

#5 ·
I did that not too long ago. I didnt take the throttle body off, but i pulled the iac, cleaned the port and the valve. I also replaced the iac valve with another i had laying around, still ran the same.

#8 ·
Well I went a head and changed the tb with a v8 one i had laying around. Cleaned it all up and installed a new gasket with it. Truck ran good for a few days but is now starting to do the same thing again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.