Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a 5.9 swap into a 95 dak Sport ? I have trans from 97 I want a nv 3500 or 4500 If I can find a good used one. Also wanna do away with pcm. Need to know if using original intake with carb and carb adapter is a possibility ? If so is it a good idea ? 5.9 I got has no pcm no throttle body?

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,469 Posts
The kegger intake will suck with a carb; it's optimized for low end torque with EFI.

I'd look for a 5.2 ECU for a 1995, and use the 1995 V8 intake and sensors on your 1995 to get started. You'll also need a Dakota oil pan for that 5.9. I'd also get Dakota exhaust manifolds or headers.

Otherwise, I'd look for a good carb intake, and consider that the speedometer and the tach are driven off the ECU now ... so you'll have to revert to a 1990-1993 cluster and add the mechanical drive for the speedo on the transmission and use a tach adapter to get the 2x per revolution pulses the factory tachs expect; or make a custom dash cluster.

THAT said - the 5.2 ECU will run the 5.9 and it'll work fine, but it'll work better if you manage to either rewire to a 1996 standard (to get the OBDII and the programmable JTEC ECU instead of the SBEC ECU), or find a 5.9 RAM ECU to drop in there instead. (Not sure if a 1995 RAM ECU will work properly with the Dakota instrument cluster; so there's some possible problems with that!) Add two wires to the engine bay harness (for injectors 7 and 8), and the 1995 V8 harness for the engine, and you'll be OK given the ECU works fine. (LOGICALLY it should; but not having tried it, I'm spending your money not mine there ... )

RwP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts