Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dakota has 146 K on the 3.9. The motor runs real good, but has a little rattle type sound at low rpm's. It's not a knock & sounds like it's near the front of the motor. Once it's reved, it seems to go away. What could it be?

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Timing chain hitting inside of cover. You will need to get updated chain & tensioner. The only place I found the one for mine was the dealer. Was not expensive.

I had the same noise...replaced the parts inside, noise gone

·
Diesel Mechanic
898 Posts
x2 for timing chain

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drove truck tonight. The drive belt has started squeaking, even at idle. Drove it about 20 miles & sounds like maybe one of the belt idler pulleys is bad. After driving at 55 mph, for say 8-10 miles, the belt sometimes makes a terrible noise. Like a pulley is trying to stop & the belt is still going. Can also hear what sounds like a bearing squial at the same time. After slowing down, it doesn't do it very much. I'll check that in the morning. The slight rattle is still there, so I'll order a timing chain for that.

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Don't forget the tensioner from the dealer

Sounds like your other noise may be a bad belt, water pump, or a pulley. Tensioner could be weak also. You are gonna have the water pump off anyway to change the t-chain & tensioner, you might as well replace it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATES: Just yesterday (1/30) I replaced the timing chain & added a new tensioner. The rattle is gone. Truck has 146K on it & I don't think it had ever been replaced. Chain was worn out worse than any I had ever seen. Also installed a new idler pulley & belt. Truck is running better than ever now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
SQUEAKY alternative!

About every 6mos or so my belt startes squeaking and the fix is a wire brush to remove the rust in the serpentine grooves on all the steel pulleys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts