Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been planning this project for quite a while now. Early this spring I bought a '93 Dakota with plans of installing a big block. Since I wasn't ready to get started on the project right away, I used the truck to get around town until about 3 weeks ago... The 3.9L has had a rod knock the whole time I've owned the truck. It got really loud after a 4,800 rpm shift and then i noticed that it had no oil pressure :eek: , so I just kept driving a few miles to limp it back to the house. I stopped off at a store on the way and when I started it back up the oil pressure came back... then went away... then came back. Luckily I made it home without seizing it or grenading it. Since then I've only used it in the yard to move some things like the plywood we put up for the hurricane... This afternoon I was bored and started looking things over. I figured I'd pull the engine sometime later this week so I started draining the fluids and removing the radiator... next thing I know a little over 2 hours later it's out... I still have to pull the trans though. At this rate, I'll have the 440 mocked up in there tommorow afternoon... Here's a few pics...

before

after

the 193,000 mile knocking wonder

hmmmm....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what you are asking about ? The flash makes the picture of the empty engine bay look a bit different than it looks in person. It's kinda of greasy around the rack and the crossmember. Just look at all the grime on the bellhousing.

The v-6 looks extra small- the camera was only about 2 feet from the engine- I had the lens set to wide angle so it's a little fish-eyed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm sure you won't be needing all that 5spd stuff, so how bout you fix up a fellow gen 2er and price me the flywheel, clutch pedal, slave and master cyls, and trans. I'm getting rid of the auto in my 1992 so you're welcome to any parts I'd be throwing away in the process (brake pedal, steering column)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Looks like it is going to be a cool truck when it's done. Keep us posted on the progress.

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
GregZ said:
I was planning on selling some of the parts , so maybe we can trade some of the parts, and som... I wouldn't mind having the auto brake pedal set up.... send me an e-mail and we can discuss it. [email protected]

Oh yeah, I made a bit more progress today...
:banana2:

LIKE A GLOVE BABY..W :biggthump :banana2: :drive: OOHOO!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got the mock-up brackets made, and I also created the CAD drawings for the bracket pieces. If things go right next week, I may actual have the first set of finished brackets installed. Then the headers will be next. I am also going to test fit a set of HP exhaust manifolds as an option to the headers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yesterday , 4/01/06, I tack welded 9 sets of brackets. I'll finish welding them this week. After that, I'll be making some big progress. I have to rebuild the 727, assemble the 440 and install both. After that I have to build the headers. The hook up the rest of the stuff, like the EFI and AC and PS.

My old 3.9L is laying on the shop floor. I'll probably end up using for mock up purposes for Magnum negine products.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.