Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, where do i begin? well i bought this truck from a friend cause he had some problems with it, his problems were it would stall and pop through the carb and generaly run like crap, well he blew two head gaskets before he finaly called it quits, so i bought it and tore the whole top end down and replaced all the gaskets from the heads up, now i got it all back together and it will crank but wont start, wont even try, well i made sure its getting fuel to the injectors, double and triple checked all my work( very experienced but just incase). if i put gas in the carb it will run but only for a sec, the only thing i notice is if i have the key on then i hear a whinning noise from the smec or engine control module whatever one wants to call it. im really hoping someone has an idea or 2 cause im out of them, thanks rob

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would start with the timing. The timing chain may have been the problem from the start, blowing head gaskets and blow by through the carb is a sure sign. Since now it will not run at all you may have also installed the distributor a tooth or so off. In any case I would look at the timing chain and gears and see if they are bad then go from there.

While it is apart check the push rods to make sure non of them are bent.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i didnt have to take the distributor out to do the overhaul i did but i will look into the timing but my only concern is that it ran before i took it apart, i know that this single thing is pointing to it being me but ive checked my work 3 to 4 times to make sure, i dont know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts