Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i am in the process of swapping motors in my 99 durango. i ended up with a 92 motor from the salvage yard. getting ahead of myself i dropped the new motor in and i am having trouble getting the tranny to slip into place. the flywheels both looked identical but i was wondering if maybe that is what is keeping everything from slipping into place....... oh yeah the motor both old and new are 5.2 318 any help woul be appreciated before i go tackle this project again tomorrow .... both automatic

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
yeah they changed around 96; for one thing the 99 FW will have all 4 converter bolts equally spaced the 92 will have 1 a little "off" so taht it can only be bolted on 1 way; similar to how it only bolts to the engine in 1 spot because of the engines (NOT 318) that were external balance like 360s cast crank big blocks etc so that it only goes together 1 way so the balance weights wound up where they needed to go in relation to the crank. Starting 96, the weights were moved to the flexplate on 360's so they could use the same torque converter on the 3.9, 318 and 360.
Flexplates are cheaper than torque converters. so now they didnt need so many different ones down the line...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the heads up..... looks like im gonna drop the tranny today and change the flex plate. taking a little longer than i had hoped but the end will justify the means.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts