Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am new to the forum and new to Dodge ownership. I have owner the other domestic trucks but never a Dodge. So the 92 Dakota LE is my first and it is turning into a bit of a headache.
The little fixer upper I purchased , come to find out. Was sold because the fellow started replacing things he thought would soon break so he was doing preventative maintenance . first the plugs and wires. Then alternator , then this is where the current issue bloomed. He changed the distributor and the crankshaft sensor. And a serious miss at 1200 rpm and backfire. I have looked on several sites and all say the same thing. Fuel sync issue.
I have done the Volt meter read and set. That the bulletin dodge issued to the service dept guys in Oct of 92. And still can't get the engine to correct. And not one single mechanic in my area has any idea what I am talking about or how to do it. What's worse. The dodge dealerships in my area won't even touch it.
So I am going the extra mile and buying my own snap on mt2500 and the 1392 cartridge and key so I can try and fix this baby myself. That is how dedicated I am to this truck. Can any of you guys give me any positive directions on this issue?
And the oil pressure gauge does not work. I am thinking to change my oil pump. But am not sure if I should before the scanner arrives from eBay.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
381 Posts
Can't help you with the miss, but before you change your oil pump, seems like you should T in another oil pressure gauge to verify your actual oil pressure. Your pressure may be fine and your gauge bad. Or your engine may be so worn out that spending money on it at all may not make sense.

It's a 92, do you really want to dump all that money into it -- and the expensive tools too?

We all love our Dakotas, but there comes a time when certain heroic measure no longer make sense.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The oil gauge in my 96 works when it was to. I'm gonna tee in an aftermarket gauge and leave original gauge operational. I know they had issues with the sending units I've changed several (on many Dodge trucks, not just this one) does the engine knock and rattle? If not the oil pump is probably fine.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Fuel sync is very easy to set takes less than 10 minutes. If you were close I'd do it. (I'm about an hour or so south of Chicago)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts