Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having issues with my old 92 with a 3.9, the torque converter has locked up and it spits and sputters when it runs in park or neutral. Well my stepdad recently got us a parts truck, I'm not sure on the exact year but it's a 97-2000 model, with a 3.9 and auto trans that runs and drives fine but it was wrecked. I've thought about it and I'm considering just swapping the whole engine and trans over to my truck but I'm not sure what all I'll have to get done. I don't know if my driveshaft will work or not, or any of my shift linkage, I know I'll have to reuse my transfer case, and the wiring harness will have to get changed, but what all else should I know before doing this?

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,610 Posts
Well, the 97-00 model will have the RE transmission, which won't work with your 92 ECU.

If you swap the intake and exhaust manifolds, the motor itself should swap out.

One more possible problem is if the parts truck is a 2WD, the extension shaft won't fit your 4x4 drivetrain.

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the 97-00 model will have the RE transmission, which won't work with your 92 ECU.

If you swap the intake and exhaust manifolds, the motor itself should swap out.

One more possible problem is if the parts truck is a 2WD, the extension shaft won't fit your 4x4 drivetrain.

RwP
Basically, if I get a driveshaft made, it's pretty much pull everything out of the parts truck and put it in my truck?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If by "pull everything" you mean motor, transmission, ECU, dash, all cab wiring, etc.

And you'll lose the 4x4 (having the 4x4 suspension without the drive - the worst of both worlds.)

I'd rebuild the current transmission, add a new torque converter, and swap the motors out personally.

Or rebuild the current motor even.

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If by "pull everything" you mean motor, transmission, ECU, dash, all cab wiring, etc.

And you'll lose the 4x4 (having the 4x4 suspension without the drive - the worst of both worlds.)

I'd rebuild the current transmission, add a new torque converter, and swap the motors out personally.

Or rebuild the current motor even.

RwP
That's what I had in mind, but I don't see why I would need the dash?
I'm only doing this as a temporary workaround so I can drive it while I source the motor,trans,etc. That I want to put in the truck.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Because the current instrument cluster is driven directly off the engine (save for the tach); the 97-2000 uses the CAN-BUS (I think it's CAN-BUS) to talk to an all-electronic cluster.

It's all different.

Don't forget the transmission wiring will have to be changed.

You won't have 4WD - the transfer case won't bolt to a 2WD transmission.

Again - you're going to create a LOT of extra work due to the difference.

But hey, your time, your money.

Again, I'd just rebuild the current transmission and motor; or at least the current transmission and swap motors (remembering to use the 92 intake and exhaust manifolds, plus the 92 sensors).

RwP

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
the long block on that 97-99 is the same as the 92. Keep your 92 manifolds etc and swap them over. and your torque converter from the parts truck should also be a drop in. then just run everything else off the 92. computer, wiring and all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts