Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted a question around the boards and it appears that the 91 5.2L engines are different from the 92s. Given this information, the simple mods I was looking at CAI and Headers seems be not so simple. I have only found a blue insert from K&N and I believe I did come across a website that had a pair of headers listed, but I am not sure. Since this is going to be my first automotive project vehicle and I intend to take it off the road this year to start the modifications, I would like to know if anyone else has made mods to their 91 5.2L and if so what they were? Or at the very least what other might suggest. I'm just looking to boost performance, have it running in tip top shape, and increase the looks. It has 93K on the engine. It still starts great and idle's fine, although I think it has significantly less power than 14 years ago. I might have a engine oil leak that just started. I need to wait until it gets a little warmer to start crawling under to investigate. Exhaust system is shot and it is in dire need of a paint job. Any thought would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Well you have a pre-magnum. I have personally never touched one but I know it is alot easier to get power from the magnum engines. I would do a mag 318 or 360 swap and go from there.

·
Registered
582 Posts
you can still get headers for your 318, pacesetter (monza) has some for @135.00. mods for this engine are few but the ones out there are cheap. If you can post a pic of the throttle body I can help you find a suitable upgrade. Have a local shop fab up a single 3 inch pipe with a dynomax and you won't believe the sound. If you toss @500.00 at it you'll be able to get 15-20 more hp out of it but don't bank on much more than that...oh gone are the days when they still called em' 318's

·
Registered
789 Posts
i have a 91 5.2 also. if you do headers, do hooker or doug thorley, now pacesetter. the inside dimensions of pacesetters headers are just about the same as stock. if you dont wanna spend the 350 on a good set of headers, buy a set of 92 stock manifolds. only 92 though.

the 2 things that gained me the most power on mine were taking the smog pump off and the cat out of it. i gained .6 of a second at the track.

ive got the accel 8mm wires, cap, and rotor. k&n, flowmaster muffler, and thats about it. ive got 167,000 on it now and still running strong.

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Yep, 92-93 manifolds are the better ones. I personally think the 92-93 motors came with better equiptment such as the bigger manifolds and return style fuel system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts