Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Project going to start,I can see it

I was thinking about getting a Projector kit,But no one makes one for the Dodge 9007 headlights

Would just get 9007 Hid package
What brand is reliable and Quailty,Not looking Cheap,Dont mind spending a few Extra Dollars on QUAILTY

So many brands out there

RICK

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dude you are looking at least $350 min for a good HID kit, Do Not, Repeat DO NOT go with any brand you can buy at a auto parts store. I used to work for O'reillys here in dallas. all are crap, My buddy bought his HID kit on E-bay, they have some awsome deals. Just type in 9007 HID conversion kit. THe kit is easy to install. just a matter of plugins. Its a box that plug right in to your 9007 harness. There is this dude in Cali, that is my buddy bought from. They look great, a little bright. They have that blue tint to them. he spent about 350 to 400 and got them with in like 2days. Thinking of purchasing a kit but kinda want to do performance first. I will try to get the dudes name and what his E-bay store is called, if ya want

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
I was actually thinking of buying some OEM AUDI HID's, lenses and all and then just retro fit them into my lights. Just cut the original hole in the back of your light out where the original bulb goes in and stick in the AUDI ones. Audi HID have motors too to change the angle of the lense for high and low beam so you would have to figure that out too. I have some old lights in the basement so i think i might try it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
sylvania makes a covertion kit for most vehicles including dakotas with the 9007 bulb. it is a complete kit that comes with everything you need. I have sold a few kits at my business I manage and they are very good quality. expect to pay about $550 - $600 full cost though. I believe though they come with new glass lenses to. all the other ones I have ordered have.
just something to look into.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Please, please, please don't just put in a set of 9007 HIDS. Not only is it illegal (I'm dead serious), but it's not the greatest choice for lighting. Regular HID sets were not designed for halogen housings unless specifically made OEM right from the factory (Cadillac for example). Most cars use a projector with an HID system, which is the ONLY way to go (again, unless it was factory like BMW or Mercedes).

Halogen housings and reflectors were designed for just that.....halogen bulbs. ANY halogen bulb is best, an HID system is NOT. Since the bulbs are completely different from a halogen, things such are glare, dead spots, and hot spots will be MUCH worse. Sure they'll look all nice and superblue and cool, but they're honestly not the way to go. This isn't bad for just you seeing the road, but much worse for other drivers as well.

The best thing to do is just use high quality halogen bulbs, get an additional set of driving lights, or do what's called a "projector retrofit". Which means custom installing a set of projectors inside the stock lenses, and then a set of HIDS in those if you wish. It's not easy, nor is it cheap, but the ending results will honestly be 10x those of a "drop-in" set of HIDS, and 100x that of a halogen system.

·
Registered
388 Posts
yellowkota you are completely right in saying that hid retrofit kits are not holding a candle against a properly design headlamp with hid as an oem feature. The majority of car manufacturers do run projector lenses to eliminate many problems with glare, aim etc etc, but some still don't...the cadillacs as was mentioned as well as the infiniti g35 comes to mind. I've been in front of enough caddy's and they have the most blinding setup period. And honestly sometimes cars with projectors can be bad as well...honda s2000 and acura tl has to be the worst (with projectors), audi is also pretty bad at times.

All being said though, my kit has shields that cover the top quarter of each bulb which cuts out almost all the glare and gives a nicer cutoff of the light. I've had mine since june and not once have I been high beamed or had someone say they're blinding or causing glare. I stood in front of my truck about 30 feet back and it really isn't "bothersome" to look at. There are however, plenty of kits that do not have a shield to prevent glare...I drove by a civic earlier this evening and I was blinded by his lights which was prolly some 8000k thing since it was so purple and intense, just ridiculous.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Theres a set of good halogens that I found after going through a little over 10 sets of bulbs looking for the whitest and brightest. They are called GP Thunder (You can actually find them on ebay) from Global Premier, the 100 watt set. I havent gotten them for the dakota yet, as im waiting for payday (bills do come first sometimes), but I put them on an S10, a blazer, and a dodge ram, and they are by far the whitest ive seen (I cant stand yellow bulbs :jester: ), and havent caused any blinding of traffic lol, or any damage to the wiring harnesses, and 2 of those trucks have been running the GPs for 2 years. But if you are looking for some good halogens, as I guess 9007 HID kits are illegal, something I didnt know, try those out, they are around $20 for the pair, depending where you get them from. I was trying to get some comparison shots but i cant find my camera charger, Ill post pics when I do. Hope this helps!

·
Subscribed Member
265 Posts
I would love to have a set of whiter (spelling?) bulbs, but i do not want to excede the factory wattage. I have tried silverstars, but i was disapponted. Anyone have any 9007 bulbs that IMPROVED vision, without excedeing 55/65 watts?

·
Registered
88 Posts
All the Global Premier bulbs come in standard wattage also. Silverstars are dissapointing, arent they? I was in the auto parts store today, they wanted $40 for 2 of them, thats too expensive for what you get. Cool Blue aint so great either. Here, I finally got a comparison shot- sorry it kinda sucks but its 2:something in the morning. The S10 lights are a little brighter but if i had to move the trucks i think my neighbors would have killed me :sorry: . The lights on the left are from the stock R/T, the right is the Ram with GP lights

again, they look better than they do in my crappy photo job, but ill blame it on the camera, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
i got a buddy who swears by silverstars and i think they suck. i got a pair of xenon 9007's off ebay for like 13 bucks and there real white. besides the piaa foglights i have which are unbelievabley bright. but when i turn the fogs off the lights are bright and a nice white. the bulb itself is blue. and looks cool durin the days when u look at my headlights cuz u get a blue tint in em.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i agree with YellowKota that the ONLY way to go is to retrofit a projector into our headlights! i'm in the early stages right now of mine but i have most of the parts needed! i'll keep everyone posted how it turns out! :biggthump

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sabrewolf said:
But if you are looking for some good halogens, as I guess 9007 HID kits are illegal, something I didnt know
Its not that 9007 HID kits are illegal, but (correct me if I'm wrong) its illegal to put HID in a vehicle that does not come stock with HID's

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
No true. Sylvania and maybe some other kits are DOT legal retrofits in specific vehicles that did not have them. Most kits are illegal in that they are not DOT approved. What that means to you depends on your local inspection, law enforcement and how bad thy blind other drivers.

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
YellowKota2k is correct but not all the way (not poking at you FYI). Reflector housings are made for HIDs but what really matters is how the housing was made and the placement of the bulb reflector. for example look at Lexus with their IS, ES, LS for 04' those are all reflector based HID kits. Even the new Navigator has HIDs in a reflector, and the G35's up until 06' model year. If you are going to do HIDs please just aim your headlights so your light is not shining straight out in front of you and into the eyes of other drivers cause you dont know blinding light until you have some aftermarket HID kit shining in your eye, unfortunately i am guilty of having my HIDs improperly aimed at first. with the new 1 piece headlights the glare is corrected more than with the euro clear lense but still need to be properly aimed. Hope this info helps a bit

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
You're right, I failed to mention the fact some OEM HIDS are in a reflector housing. Those are acceptable and designed for them, where as ours (or 99% of others) are not. Though they are cool and do light better than our standard halogen, they're still not up to par with projectors, or projectors with HIDS.

I would absolutely LOVE to do a bi-xenon retrofit into the 1-piece headlights, along with some Philips HIDS. Screw offroad or auxiliary lights, that would be my lighting heaven... :bow:

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
WhsNxt0266 said:
Dude you are looking at least $350 min for a good HID kit, Do Not, Repeat DO NOT go with any brand you can buy at a auto parts store. I used to work for O'reillys here in dallas. all are crap, My buddy bought his HID kit on E-bay, they have some awsome deals. Just type in 9007 HID conversion kit. THe kit is easy to install. just a matter of plugins. Its a box that plug right in to your 9007 harness. There is this dude in Cali, that is my buddy bought from. They look great, a little bright. They have that blue tint to them. he spent about 350 to 400 and got them with in like 2days. Thinking of purchasing a kit but kinda want to do performance first. I will try to get the dudes name and what his E-bay store is called, if ya want
hell, i paind 210 for my kit, and i got them the same day. guy lives right down the street from me (somewhat). bright as heel too. 6000K lumens too.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
I'd really like to retrofit some OEM HID's into my foglights. I dunno about doing them into headlights, that might look really really silly. DakRaven's setup was awesome, but no longer makes em :cussing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts