Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a hid kit for my D but not sure which one to get or where to get one from. i want one that doenst cause me to loose my high beam either. also not sure if the light will shine right with my euro headlights. does anyone have a hid kit on their D or dak and/or info on a hid kit to get? any pics of the lights on?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey i have a Hella 9007 HID kit. Unfortunately yes you will lose your high beam...the only HID kit that's aftermarket that allows high and low beam is in the H4 size. Honestly it's bright to where I don't need high beams. I got mine awhile back...you can find em on ebay from time to time, but alot of those are damn hong kong knock offs which are poor crap quality (though they only cost about 250 bucks compared to the 500 i paid). Just as you can tell the difference between so called "hyper white xenon bulbs" and real hid, you can tell the difference between hong kong knock off hid kits and the real oem style stuff.

I'm planning on getting the diamond cut headlights in the future too, i doubt that lens would affect the light in any adverse way...the stock ones with the old style "lined" lenses sure take away from its fullness. So if you're getting a kit, look to phillips (made by hella), hella, or osram-sylvannia. Those are the oem hid manufacturers and anything else is junk. I'll try to post a few pics this wknd if I can borrow my dad's digi cam. One thing is for sure, many people (especially other dakota owners on the road) do double takes since my lights look like oem hid, but of course no dakota ever had hid oem. :cool:

R

·
0 Posts
Hey man where did you get your kit im trying to find a kit for my dakota. and i definetly want the oem quality kit.

·
Registered
388 Posts
hey there...i got my lights at a local shop, auto indulgence in lomita, ca. However, due to the law passed i think early this year, aftermarket hid kits are illegal to sell in the united states. I had to pay cash in fact for mine since the shop was not technically supposed to sell any kits. So, what I could suggest is looking at shops that you can order online from...in particular any from canada. Usually they'll ship to anywhere, but it's just US retailers will be slapped with a fine for selling domestically. Sucks big time, which is why i got mine as soon as i found em. Like i said ebay sometimes will have em if you're lucky, but online stores are the better bet. I'll do some research if i can and post up what i find. Also I'll have pics by sunday.

·
Registered
388 Posts
http://www.misterjung.com/
(reconditioned, however...so I dunno...i always prefer new...)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7935389752

mc culloh hid, i think alot of people have run this kit and supposedly it ain't bad, but it's still not an oem manufacturer so i'm not sure about quality. I think the company has been around for a few years though so they prolly are ok.

ok this is it, price is good too...i should have bought online dangit haha:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7936415036&category=36476

Get the 6000k, anything higher is not really going to look like a stock setup, plus as the kelvin rating increases, the lumen output goes down. Most car manufactuers nowdays I believe run 5000-6000k, no more than that. Thing is that most hid equipped cars have projector housings...our trucks don't, though it would be the best complement for it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got my HIDs in my car, first thing I did to my Durango when I get it (over a year ago) and with the diamond cut headlights, 8000k HID system looks awsome. Lights up the whole neighboor hood, and you can see me commin from a mile away! I am just waiting for my 6inch HID Fog Lights to come in for my Shelby Body kit. should be bright ass hell!

G

·
0 Posts
The mcculloch kit is ok, you lose you high beam ,sure, but instal some aftermarket Hella comet FF 300 and install HID light in them too . thats real bright light...
the hellas look great. i got the Jumbo 320 FF Clear High Beams, with 150 watt bulbs, damn your blind if you come in my direction and i switch them on...
I am not shure, can you get them in US?
Forgot that some things only available in Germany
Greets

·
Registered
388 Posts
My Hella pics

Here's some pics I shot about 20 minutes ago...

the first one is when i switch the lights on, and they go through their warmup phase

the second one is them fully on, they're really white with a very slight purple tint

the third one shows how it looks compared to the stock halogen fog lamps

the fourth one is in my garage...the vertical blinds are white in color and there is no other light on...really gives an idea of how bright they are.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
HID vs. Halogen

For a comparison I shot these pics with the accord at our house next to my dakota in the garage. Accord has stock halogens and they look like candles compared to the hella kit even though in all honesty the accord stock has pretty decent light output for a mid 90s car. Accord's lens does a good job of putting as much light out as possible since it already has that "diamond cut" style oem compared to our trucks which has the lined style stock. All the more reason for me to switch to the diamond cut headlights very soon...it'll be even nicer.

Attachments

·
DANGURO5
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks a lot for all of your replies supradakotaman. your kit is definately hot. right now i got silverstars and i have been getting the finger from being behind people. i am definately gonna get a hid kit and i think i finally found one that is both high and low at my local car shop so if santa brings it to me i will let you know and post some pics. thanks again

·
Registered
388 Posts
no problem man, but as for your getting the finger from people because of your silverstars, it will get worse with an hid kit without reflectors/shields...i found this quote from a guy on the suzuki sv website i visit alot that has a HID system for his low beam on a yamaha r1:

"HID's come in 2 version D2R (designed for a reflector housing) and D2S (which is designed for a projector housing). The difference between the bulbs is that there is a small shield on the reflector bulbs that cuts glare. Most of the cheap kits that you see are D2S based kits which work great in projector beam applications and the lack of this shield is what causes the blinding effect that many aftermarket HID kits suffer from.Generally the D2R kits are more $$$ and kits where the mfg took the time to rebase the arc so the optics are correct s even rarer and more $$$ (see below). There really is a difference between a $250 kit and a $999 kit

Another thing that makes a huge difference is placment to the HID's arc relative to the placment of the OEM filament. BEfore I bought my kit I took a picture of my OEM H7 bulbs next to a ruler with a closeup of the filament so we could see exactly where the filament was in relation to the base of the bulb. The guy I bought the HId's from did the same and our measurments were virtually identical. If they aren't the beam will have goofy hot spots and goofy cold spots."

I know my r/t has the d2r type, so there's really no glare...but it lights up the road very nicely and looks cleaner with a crisp beam pattern due to the shield. With diamond cut headlights like you have, the intesity will seem more severe, so you really want to make sure you're getting a d2r type. Good luck and post pics when you get your lights.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Now I want some when I get the Diamond Cut headlights...... need a place online to get them though, don't have any places around here that sell them. ( I want the high and low-beam ones so I can control whether or not I blind people.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts