Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy,
Can anyone tell me what other vehicle rear axle assemble will fit in my 88 Dakota longed 2wd? I'm looking for a 3:23 gear since I done away with the A500 and went with a 3 speed. All I can seem to find in the junk yards are either 2:73 or 3:73.

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,525 Posts
87-90 2WD fit straight in; 91-96 2WD fit if you ignore the sensor in the diff and swap the axles and brakes.

Any particular reason why you dropped OD capability on your truck? (Is curious, have the 3 speed, am planning to upgrade to the A500 later to GET overdrive)

RwP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did your truck come factory with the 3 speed? The reason I changed...is I've had 2 A500s in the truck and the OD.went out on both. I know they weren't fresh rebuilds, but I bought a low mileage 87 3.9 and 3 speed when a lifter keeper broke and wore a cam off the lobe on the 88 model 3.9. So I had the transmission and I converted it over. So what gear does your truck have in it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did your truck come factory with the 3 speed? The reason I changed...is I've had 2 A500s in the truck and the OD.went out on both. I know they weren't fresh rebuilds, but I bought a low mileage 87 3.9 and 3 speed when a lifter keeper broke and wore a lobe off the Cam in the 88 model 3.9. So I had the transmission and I converted it over.
So what gear does your truck have in here.it?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Factory 3 speed, yes. 2.94 rear gear.

Real slug off the line; but it's nice at 80MPH down the Interstate in Texas.

But you realize - the A500 is basically that 3 speed with the overdrive, and you can always rebuild them. (My 3 speed's been rebuilt twice since I bought the truck.)

RwP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know...but around here its like 1200 buck to have it built. I figured it would just be cheaper to do the higher geared rear end. If like to find a 3:23 to go in it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
3.23 wasn't an offered size for 1988.

3.21 was, though.

And $1200 isn't bad; you may pay that much getting a rear end into snuff to run.

(What's wrong with the one in the 87 parts truck?)

RwP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one from the 87 I didn't get. The future used it to build a trailer along with the bed.
3.23 wasn't an offered size for 1988.

3.21 was, though.

And $1200 isn't bad; you may pay that much getting a rear end into snuff to run.

(What's wrong with the one in the 87 parts truck?)

RwP
What kind of motor/trans config. Had the 3:21 gearing underneath?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
so little difference between 3.23 and 3.21 you wont notice ANY difference between them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts