Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to bite the bullet and build a new chassis and drop my body on it so I can continue to drive mine, my 88 body would deff fit on a 95/96 frame with no problem right same exactly body mounts etc? This way I can also get setup with the LSD axle I want, NV3500 and the 5.9L Magnum...I can Por15 everything this way too.

Something I would really like to do if I am going to do this though is convert to 4x4 but did they even make a reg cab 4x4 with a short bed? Even if they did it sounds extremely hard to locate a frame for...I think I would be better off making a RWD frame 4x4 or shortening a 4x4 frame (probably shortening since the front suspension would already be setup?)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Well you could easily convert a 2wd frame to be 4x4 by doing a solid front axle and flip the rear axle to the other side of the leafspring. And yes reg cab short bed 4x4s exist not super common. I'd say one of the rarest setups would have been a reg can short bed 4x4 5.2l with a 5 speed, I know they made them but damn rare.

·
1988 Dakota 3.9L-TBI
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the 4x4 did not use trailing arms? I know they don't have coil springs like my 2WD, the 4x4 also uses 4-link bars in the front right? I think the most difficult part will be tracking down a pair of axles since you have to match the ratio's right? I would want the 9.25" LSD @ 3.9:1 in the rear...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts