Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
...resurrected
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any significant difference in the two sizes. Dodge lists the 9.25 as "heavy-duty". And from what I've read there was no ryme or reason to which truck got which (r/t exception, always 9.25 i think).

I have an 8.25 with 3.55 and a factory lsd. I want to go to 4.10 gears and a locker or stronger anti-slip, but was wondering if the 8.25 is worth it, or if I should get a 9.25 first. I hope to eventually s/c the truck and am looking at 400whp for a looooooooong term goal. can an 8.25 take that?

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Your rearend will be fine. Compared to you I've got big tires, low gears, and a locker. 33's, 4.56's, and a Detroit. I haven't had an issue yet with mine after offroad abuse. I have no need to swap out this axle.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
Your rearend will be fine. Compared to you I've got big tires, low gears, and a locker. 33's, 4.56's, and a Detroit. I haven't had an issue yet with mine after offroad abuse. I have no need to swap out this axle.
youve got an 8.25 axle?

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Yup. Came on the truck since it was originally full-time 4wd (aka AWD). I've got about $1400 into the rear axle alone so it's not like I'd want to swap it out either. I have to admit though, it does look quite sexy... :D

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
Yup. Came on the truck since it was originally full-time 4wd (aka AWD). I've got about $1400 into the rear axle alone so it's not like I'd want to swap it out either. I have to admit though, it does look quite sexy... :D
lol i like the cover on it, i forgot AWDs have them or some do or whatever, you said yours was originally awd, is it not anymoreim guessing you converted it

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1999 Dakota 4x4 and I need to replace the rear diff but was told to read the numbers off the carrier and that it was out of a Toyota.I need a new diff but don’t know what to do!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts