Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. I'm always seeing these new recommended oil change intervals between 5000 and 7500 miles as a standard, but some even beyond that. This is due to "Higher quality oils" these days.omegle discord xender
Does this stand true with an old engine, or is it for newer cars only?
For example I've been changing my 03 dakota 4.7's oil every 3k since I've got it, but I'm not sure if this engine would permit every 5000 instead

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all. I'm always seeing these new recommended oil change intervals between 5000 and 7500 miles as a standard, but some even beyond that. This is due to "Higher quality oils" these days.omegle discord xender
Does this stand true with an old engine, or is it for newer cars only?
For example I've been changing my 03 dakota 4.7's oil every 3k since I've got it, but I'm not sure if this engine would permit every 5000 instead
bought my 01 Durango new and have had oil changes with filter every 6000 miles as suggested by the dealership, still running great at 178000 miles, eng. 4.7 4wd slt.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Using Synthetic you should be ok! We use synthetics oils in our Turbine engines on aircraft which reach higher temps 600*C+ and run at WOT most of the time and we only do oil changes every 200hrs. In automobile time that's every 10000 miles-ish. (50mphx200hrs = average miles) I know my dually has an oil monitoring system on it and it only shows to change oil every 14000-15000 miles vs the recommended 7500 miles. Same on my wife's Honda. Honda reccomends every 5000 miles and her monitor doesn't hit 10% until 8000-9000 miles. A lot of it has to do with Environment and driving conditions and condition of the engine.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
156 Posts
When in doubt, follow the manufacturers recommendations. The engine was built, characterized, and tested with the oils available at the time. Oils have gotten better but your engine has not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts