Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm always seeing these new recommended oil change intervals between 5000 and 7500 miles as a standard, but some even beyond that. This is due to "Higher quality oils" these days.
Does this stand true with an old engine, or is it for newer cars only?
For example I've been changing my 03 dakota 4.7's oil every 3k since I've got it, but I'm not sure if this engine would permit every 5000 instead

·
I hate you people.
2,787 Posts
I would not change the oil that frequently on the 4.7 unless you are towing or hauling in it constantly, then yes, that interval is necessary. The problem with those longer oil change intervals is that the manufacturers are quoting those intervals for the newest models. These newer engines have the tightest tolerances of any regular production engines(exotics and hand-built engines don't count, as their tolerances are even tighter). Then, they are using the lightest weight oils on the market, which are now 0W-30 or 0W-20. Finally, it's a known fact that synthetic oils are more hardy than mineral engine oils, and so they withstand thermal and viscosity breakdown better than mineral oils.
On my 4.7, I have my oil change intervals at 6000 miles because I only drive it on the highways mostly, I don't idle that often, and I use Royal Purple 5W-30. I was using 10W-30 because I needed the higher weight due to towing often but the viscosity is no longer sold in parts stores or other retailers such as Walmart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts