Registered
744 Posts
you will have to find rotors as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YellowKota2k said:
You'll also have to get custom axle shafts.
The rear is the easy part, but while I'm at it I am also considering replacing the 9 1/4 with a Dana 60. Any idea of the value of a used 9 1/4 with 3.92's and a sure grip?

YellowKota2k said:
Why would you want to go to a 5x4.5 rather than something more common than that?
5 x 4.5 is the standard Mopar car pattern as well as Ford and AMC. What I really want to run is a set of Autodrags but they don't make them in 6 x 4.5 or else I'd be all set.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
fzmax said:
The rear is the easy part, but while I'm at it I am also considering replacing the 9 1/4 with a Dana 60. Any idea of the value of a used 9 1/4 with 3.92's and a sure grip?
Why a Dana 60? Your 9.25 should hold up to whatever you can throw at it, unless it was 1000rwhp or 40" tires. I assume you're planning on tearing some stuff up.

fzmax said:
5 x 4.5 is the standard Mopar car pattern as well as Ford and AMC. What I really want to run is a set of Autodrags but they don't make them in 6 x 4.5 or else I'd be all set.
Got ya. They don't make them in something like a 5x5.5 bolt pattern? You can use a fullsize 9.25 to get a 5x5.5 pattern if they do. The you might be able to get something off of an '05 Dakota, or just use wheel adapters. I assume you'd be against using adapters for the front though.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, my truck is a stick and I'd like to put some sticky tires on it and not have to worry about breaking the back end at the track. As it is now I leave the line like I'm pulling away from a light running with 1.9 to 2.0 sixty foot times while running high 12's, low 13's in the 1/4.

I'll have to research the 5 on 5.5, is that what is on the '05's? That would make things easier, I'm sure.

·
Registered
443 Posts
fzmax said:
Are there a set of hubs with 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle that will fit the front spindles of a 98 Dakota or am I going to have to custom make something?
No Dana 60 ever came with a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern.

I've a list of 6300 BOM's from Dana, trust me on this.
5 on 5.5" or 6 on 5.5" or 8 on 6.5" and were not talking the new metric...

My Dana info -> http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Why the hell do you want to run a heavy ass dana 60 for a race truck. There are PLENTY of axles that will hold up to whatever you dish out and save you a ( literally) ton of weight. Dana 60s are HUGE. I had on ein my crew cab dually chevy and that thing was huge X large. Besides you cant run really low profiles because of the centersection.
You dont want a dana 60 bro. Leave that to the 4x4 off road crowd.
personally I would go have 2 rims custom made for the dakota bolt pattern ( seems liek the easiest and really the cheapest way to do it. youll still be $$ ahead even if the rims cost you 500$ for the set of 2. I know some companies will sell you Blank rims ( that they havent drilled) you can take it to a machine shop and have them drilled to your hub and bolt pattern but I bet if you call on eof their sales guys you can probably sweet talk them into doing it or see if they willsell you a set of blank rims in the style you want
Rob

·
14 Second Club
262 Posts
It would be a lot easier to grab a set of axles out of a ram with a 9.25 and have them machined to the correct length for the Dakota. I see no point to running a dana 60 and dealing with the speed sensorand buying a new driveshaft (I would assume the stock driveshaft wont be the right length?).
I cant think of a single truck (drag racing oriented truck) that has swapped out the 9.25 for anything else, and that includes the guys cutting 1.5's and better 60'.

·
Registered
443 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
epmills said:
It would be a lot easier to grab a set of axles out of a ram with a 9.25 and have them machined to the correct length for the Dakota. I see no point to running a dana 60 and dealing with the speed sensorand buying a new driveshaft (I would assume the stock driveshaft wont be the right length?).
I cant think of a single truck (drag racing oriented truck) that has swapped out the 9.25 for anything else, and that includes the guys cutting 1.5's and better 60'.
I thought the rear width was the same in dakotas and rams??? I went out and measured the axle WMS TO WMS and it was 65" or close to that... HMMMM

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm glad this topic came up again. I've been trying to find out the same info for almost a year. I planned on doing the conversion last fall but got sidetracked with the 408 buildup and install.

For starters, I found the rear axles are 31 spline, but I don't know the length or the pitch angle. I figured the heck with it, I'm going to have axles fabbed up if I can find the correct info.

The front is a different animal entirely. I don't even know where to begin with that, other than to start looking at Grand Cherokees to see if any parts can interchange, but then I still don't have the bolt pattern I need.

·
Registered
487 Posts
This is irritating as hell. I cant even find a part number for the axle shafts. I want to run a Solid Axle in the front eventually and would like to save the rear axle if I can It may be just as simple as getting ram axles and having them shortened and resplined. few hundred bucks maybe???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.