Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference? I thought the 360 was a 5.9 and the 318 was a 5.2. But looking for one (a 5.9 as found in a Dak R/T) gives me two different motors. A 5.9 and a 360 Magnum...whats the difference?!

-Fox

·
Registered
145 Posts
yep, same thing

5.9 liters = 360 cubic inches

5.2 liters = 318 cubic inches

(more or less) :)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/blocks.html

Near the bottom of the page they sell various versions of the 360 Magnum MPI, short blocks etc, then they list seperately the 5.9 MPI Short Block.

Oh, I think I just figured it out...

"the above 360 engines are balanced as pre-
magnum (1971-91) engines. Not 93 up magnum"

Does anybody know what that means? Apparently the 360 Magnums are used to replace older cars engines, and the 5.9 is for the newer cars/trucks. How do they balance it differently? How can a magnum engine be balanced as a non-magnum engine? What is "magnum" anyway? Im so confused...

-Fox

·
I rage, therefore I am.
80 Posts
It's most likely related to the type of flywheel/pressure plate and harmonic damper required to balance the motor.

I've not worked with Dodge motors much but Ford had a similar thing. Small blocks prior to 1980 required differently balanced flywheels and dampers than later models. I ran a 1965 289 with the flywheel off a 1982 302 and it was very unhappy with me. You can probably use the blocks in any application, but you will have to make sure you have the correct flywheel and damper to balance the motor as it was designed.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thats cool. I guess it would be better to get the 5.9 then anyway, considering that late model 5.9 parts are more readily availble anyway (especially here :p). I was hoping to do a V8 swap in my V6 dak some time in the future, and I wanted the 4.7...but I talked to the guy at the Dodge dealership, and he said that he would muuuuch rather have a 5.9 than a 4.7, based on what hes seen in the garage, the 5.9 is just way more reliable. Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)

-Fox

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The guy at the dealership isn't too bright. The 4.7L is a very reliable motor. The reason why you would want to go with a 5.9L V8 to upgrade from your 3.9L V6, is that the 5.9L are bolt ins where as the 4.7L you have to do some modification to the mounts plus you will have to go with a different transmission. The 4.7L V8's used a totally different electrical system as well which means a couple of thousand just to replace all that (harnesses, relays, switches, etc..). I was interested in doing a swap out to a 5.9L until I really started to investigate it. I would need new electrical, new motor, new transmission, all the mounts, accessories, the works. It just wasn't economically feasible for me to go from the 4.7L to the 5.9L Plus I lose gas mileage.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The differences are that the older 360s were internally balanced and the newer 360s are externally balanced using a harmonic balancer.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm...I didnt think about that. Ive got a 5spd in my truck, would I be able to use that on the 5.9? It only came with an auto...so...? And I would still need a new computer/wiring harness wouldnt I? And cap and rotor and wires...for the extra cylinders :p All the fuel rails and injectors (unless I bought a whole engine...which is like $3500 from the dealer) might need a new fuel pump for the added flow...(hell, mines bad now anyway :p) Can you think of anything else?

-Fox

P.S. Mopar RT, how can you internally balance an engine? Ive never seen a car without a harmonic balancer...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I must say that I over simplified the process. When doing this you also balance the damper, Flywheel/Flexplate, and pressure plate. But before doing this you also must weight match the rods, pistons and rings. Bobweights are attached to the crank along with the damper and flywheel.

The assembly is installed in a balancing machine then spun at a desired RPM. Material can be removed from the crank or material can be added, depends on the degree of out of balance.

A bobweight is a weight that is the combined weight of the pistons, rods, rings, bearings and a calculated weight of oil.

·
Registered
250 Posts
im not really sure about this subject but a 5.9 is a 360 is a 360 magnum its all the same sh!t there all different ways to say the same things. most likley the changes are for salesmen to help sell them.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
What about the actual dimensions of the 5.9 block. Are they the same as the 5.2? I mean for like height and width. Like if you had a truck with a 5.2 stock from the factory, could you just drop a 5.9 right in it? Does it just have a larger bore and bigger heads and stuff, or is the actually external measurements of the 5.9 bigger than the 5.2?

-Fox

P.S. Btw xtreme, youve got a 4x4 with only 6in of lift running 35's? Rancho 3 and a 3" body lift or what? And youve got a 5.9 in there too...that wasnt stock was it? What did you start with and was the swap too hard? And how do you like the Hypertech?

·
Registered
504 Posts
It can become quite confusing when talking about magnum engines and non-magnum engines. In 1987 the first magnum engines came on line from Dodge, the 5.2 and the 5.9.

The main differences are in the block and heads. The new block affords roller lifters, yes it has changed lifter agle for same, and has bosses for the lifter retainers. The heads are high-swirl / high-flow heads though not the old "X" heads of the 340.

Now you also have the A and LA engines. The A was produced from 1956 through 1966, the LA from 1964 to 1987.

Most parts interchange between the 5.2 and 5.9 of the same year and yes, you can swap out engines of the same year. A new PCM will have to be installed if you swap in the 5.9 for the 5.2. You can even add the older LA heads to the newer magnums.

I hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts