Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
5.9 TJ - Drag Race Video Added 8/24

I recently swapped a 5.9 into my Jeep wrangler and, after some break in miles, finally took it to the dyno Saturday:

Graph shows baseline & final run after some tuning. A little hard to read, final rear wheel numbers are 256hp @ 5300rpm and 318ft-lbs @ 3300rpm. Not too bad for 37x13.5" tires at 20 psi.

Here's the cell phone video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPNAXVF1LUk

Some quick specs:
Engine:
Dodge 5.9L magnum (+0.030 bore)
Hughes Air Gap intake
Comp Cams 206/210 0.480/0.512cam
Iron Ram 1.92 valve heads
Summit Shorty headers & single 3" exhaust
Ported stock TB
26lb injectors
roller rockers

Trans:
46re with shift kit

T-case:
Stock Rubicon 214OR

Axles:
Dana 44 / For 8.8 with 5.13 gears

Tires:
37x13.5R16 Pro Comp XAT's

To put things in perspective, there was a jeep with a stock 4.0L that put down ~125hp & 175tq, and a TJ with a 425hp 6.1L mopar crate engine (manual trans) that put dow ~272hp & 295 ft-lbs.

·
Super Moderator
79,419 Posts
I'm am officially jealous. That is really bad ass. I would love a V8 in mine.

·
Hunting Is Life!!
16,662 Posts
Thats purdy. Good job

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Very nice. High quality build you have there.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
mid 13's would be awesome...I'll be happy if I break into the 14's :banana2:

Not sure how much it weighs, maybe 3800?
That's a lot heavier than I would have thought. some of the regular cab V6 Dakota's are weighing in around 3800!

I'd have thought a wrangler with the soft top would only weigh around 3500 or so. pretty short and small vehicles, they ought to be light--but then again, 4x4 drivetrain adds weight back in, and it looks like yours is pretty heavilly modded? or are those stock axles/suspension, and just huge tires?

easy way to find out, take it to a certified scale at a truck stop and weigh it! only cost ya like $3!

·
I drive with two feet
1,616 Posts
I'll say it again: that's a real purdy job you did. The engine looks like it belongs there by design.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
and a TJ with a 425hp 6.1L mopar crate engine (manual trans) that put dow ~272hp & 295 ft-lbs.
man i bet he was pissed...something is def wrong with his setup/ tuning.

but sweet ass build. i have seen the wranglers get as big as the viper v10 and chevy 454's put in them.

love your motor mounts....did you make them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
man i bet he was pissed...something is def wrong with his setup/ tuning.

but sweet ass build. i have seen the wranglers get as big as the viper v10 and chevy 454's put in them.

love your motor mounts....did you make them?

Thanks for all the compliments! Yes, I made the engine mounts. Advanced adapters & Novak make some...but I like mine more. :)

It really was a pretty easy swap, other than the engine mounts the I had to build my own transmission mount, blend the harnesses, re-drill the trans output for proper T-case clocking, build the exhuast, then source a radiator, run all the plumbing etc.

Yeah, I don't think he liked seeing a budget 5.9 compete with his hemi. The AF ratio on the Hemi looked good (~12.5-13), and it sounded very heathly...I've got to think the low numbers (mine & his) have to do with the extra drag and rotating mass of the 37" tires, T-case, etc. And maybe an inflated factory HP rating on the hemi? Either way, I love my 5.9.

I'm going to try and run to the drag strip this Friday. I'll let you know what she runs, and see if I can't get some video.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
I think I've got those same manuals
Reassembling the v8:

You're brave, using tiedowns to hold the engine and trans!?
Engine & Trans ready to install:

I'm definitely jealous of the room you have to work in there.

And definitely homesick, Might get my truck back there next year if I don't reup and go to Afghanistan

It really was a pretty easy swap, other than the engine mounts the I had to build my own transmission mount, blend the harnesses, re-drill the trans output for proper T-case clocking, build the exhuast, then source a radiator, run all the plumbing etc.

Yeah, I don't think he liked seeing a budget 5.9 compete with his hemi. The AF ratio on the Hemi looked good (~12.5-13), and it sounded very heathly...I've got to think the low numbers (mine & his) have to do with the extra drag and rotating mass of the 37" tires, T-case, etc. And maybe an inflated factory HP rating on the hemi? Either way, I love my 5.9.
Give's me alot of hope for my finished product, maybe even break 300rwhp w/ the SCT. BTW, why 20psi for the dino?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts