Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could all you pro effers on here fill me in on the pros and cons and even statistical differences between a 5.9 and a 4.7? The old RTs compared to the new...and list any other apparent PROS and CONS. i just bought a 5.9 and i am still wondering if it even is better then say a 4.7......................kinda stupif if it isn;t (gas milage aside)......please fill me in Thank-you

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
The 5.9 has A LOT more potential to make power than the 4.7 does..........plain and simple. The 4.7 is just more efficient in making the power (i.e. better gas milage) Also the 5.9 has more torque than the 4.7 making it a better choice for towing or burning up tires (which ever you prefer....hehe)

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Alex Il take burning up tires for 200.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya thats what i pretty much figured. What are your suggestions for areas and shit to start with to get the RT killllin?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can give you some benchmarks......
Bought a mint 99 Dakota R/T 5.9L....58,000 miles on it....
I Installed....
PaceSetter Headers..had them ceramic coated
Flowmaster 40
Duals
K&N CAI
SuperChips
NGK's
Champion Ceramic Wires
Napa Cap and Rotor
4:10 Gears
3000 RPM Stall Convertor
Perma-Cool Dual Oil Filter Relocation Kit
Amsoil 0-30

This thing kills 04/05 Mustang GT's.....(tired of killing them actually...)
Pulls the new GTO's 04/04 (stock) in the 1/8 and runs even with them in the 1/4..I havent dyno'd it yet......but it is very quick....very quick.....I have about $55K in my 04 GTO and it probably only beats the $15K Dodge R/T by a second or so in the 1/4......

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wicked thanks alot for the list that will help alot. I just purchased a Airraid intake which i will install probably next weekend shouldn't add a heck of alotta horse but its the first thing i'm tappin lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What would you say is the best superchip that i could install?

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Well, I think it all depends on what you're getting that'll have the motor in it. If it's a 4x4, daily driver, or family truck I would say the 4.7 would be perfect for you. If you're going to mod it and want power for a fast street truck, then get the 5.9 hands down. I can't honestly say one motor is better than the other because I've got the 4.7 in my truck and love it. If I had a 2wd Dak then I'd want nothing other than the 5.9

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya i've already purchased a 5.9 i just wanted to know whats the dealio haha. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts