Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I am getting a 5.9 out of a 2000 Durango and putting it in my 1990 Ramcharger. I am going to run the factory fuel injection system. I have been researching and it seems that I can't use the stock PCM because it will be looking for signals from the 46RE transmission. My 90 RC has an A518, which would be equivalent to a pre-computer 46RH.

Is it possible to get the 2000 Durango PCM reflashed for a manual transmission so I can just keep using my old A518? Would it be easier or more beneficial in the long run to rebuild the failed 46RE transmission from the 2000 Durango? What are my options for getting the factory PCM to work with an older hydraulically controlled transmission?

Any constructive input is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,493 Posts
If you also carry over the OBDII port, you should be able to get a tuner to tune out the automatic transmission stuff.

Or, rebuild the 46RE; that's what I'd opt for personally.

RwP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you also carry over the OBDII port, you should be able to get a tuner to tune out the automatic transmission stuff.

Or, rebuild the 46RE; that's what I'd opt for personally.

RwP

Why would you choose the 46RE over the A518?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Why would you choose the 46RE over the A518?
TECHNICALLY they're both A518s.

When the ECU can control both the engine and the transmission, someone who knows what they're doing can work literal magic between throttle / advance / gear.

As an example, I'm converting my wife's 1991 Cougar from a AOD (purely hydraulic) to a 4R70W (electric solenoids controlling the hydraulics), at least partly due to how mature the 5.0HO/4R70W programming is now.

RwP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, then why the 46RE over the 46RH?

I went ahead and got the 46RE, so I have both to work with, if the 46RE is salvageable.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The 46RH, save for overdrive and lockup torque converter, is 100% hydraulic; there IS no way the ECU can affect its shifting.

The 46RE, OTOH, uses solenoids for the shifting (yes, it's still hydraulically operated, but the solenoids control instead of springs and hydraulic pressure).

This means the ECU can tweak the throttle / fuel / gear for better operation with a good programmer.

OTGH, it's your truck, do what you want :) For most stuff, it won't matter; there's not THAT much difference (if any!) between the stock profiles.

RwP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so the reason you say the 46RE is "better" is because it has the possibilty of being tuned using the computer. I am not looking to be a tuner, I just want a reliable daily driver.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
then get a 95-older ECM and wiring harness, and keep the original Ramcharger trans. that harness should be plug and play, "might" have to change a few sending units at worst to use the older wiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats the plan. I looked at the 46RE enough to see that the intermediate shaft has one end that is damaged beyond use. If the trans is definitely junk, then there is no point to try and adapt the later trans. I will be abandoning the later Durango engine computer and wiring harness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts