Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 5.9 Magnum Durango with 162xxx miles and I am considering a Hemi swap, (Hellcat if I can find the right deal). I'm trying to pool as much info from others who have done it as possible before I pull the trigger and start buying parts. Please share your experiences!

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,276 Posts
There is a member on dakotart.com that has had a 392 in his R/T Dakota and now has a Hellcat between the fenders. Might be some assistance there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are multiple threads on here asking exactly that. Basically the answer you'll get is, anythings possible, but no you do NOT want to do that. The engines are not as similar as people think they are, and the first gen durangos actually have a pretty complex wiring system. A lot of the interior wiring runs off of a two wire BUS connection and there's just really no good way of doing that swap. Would be easier to swap a 5.9 (360) from the same year into it. And even then You would have to swap the harness, ecm, and ctm from the donor vehicle. Then you may still after that have problems. Not to mention the 5.9 won't bolt to the 545rfe (assuming that's the trans you have?) so you would have to swap a 46RE into it as well. It's a nightmare, not recommended. Also, 2004 was the first run for 5.7s in durangos and I think they may have put them in trucks in mid 2003 but either way, early 5.7s (2004 included) are known to throw rods. So ya don't really want one anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts