Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I currently have a 2003 Durango with a 4.7 with 356k on it (original) I'm thinking of swapping it with the 5.9l and supercharging that down the road. But I have a few questions.
1. where can I source a good rebuilt engine?

2. What will I need for the engine swap (part wize)

3. can I reuse some sensors from the 4.7 with the 5.9?

4. Estimated cost of this swap if possible.

·
Registered
725 Posts
1. First thing to ask yourself is, whats your budget? There are plenty of sources for these engines at various prices. Online you can search for 5.9 Magnum crate engines or 5.9 Reman'ed engines. You could even find the 5.9, rebuilt and almost ready to go at your local auto parts store. However before you swipe your card, find out exactly what comes with the engine and what options are available. If you're seriously planning to supercharge the engine, a better bet is to find a well used engine in need of a rebuild and a reputable and reliable performance shop with experienced performance oriented mechanics that can build that engine for you. This option allows you to spec out everything for your specific application, whereas you may not have such options with reman's or crates, at least without having to change out parts already on (or inside) the engine. In particular, find out how well versed the mechanics you hire are with Mopars. Many know Chevy and wing it with other brands. An ideal situation (f available) would be to see if any of them know Mopars. These will be the guys who know little known details that Chevy mechanics don't always know.

2. This is a pretty tough question to answer because much of it will depend on your plan for this build. As an example, are you planning to go with as many factory parts as possible? Such as factory PCM and fuel system? Or are you going all aftermarket, such as no PCM and a Howe's or Megasquirt EFI system?? Obviously, you'll need an engine, but will it come with heads? How about all the accessories? What aftermarket parts will you be using? (Such as heads, headers, etc.) How about transmissions? In a typical engine swap, many will start with a donor vehicle and reuse as many of it's parts to complete the swap. The down-side is everything is used. When you begin bringing up superchargers and performance, that plan isn't as good because you don't want to use used parts on a new or rebuilt engine, and many factory parts can't be used because they aren't compatible with the upgrades done to the engine. If you do this swap, my first suggestion is to have some sort of top to bottom plan.

3 Nope

4. As mentioned, start with a budget and a plan. When you have some sort of estimate figured out, double it! Most projects always have hidden costs that are unanticipated. For example, you buy an engine to rebuild only to discover it can't be used due to some unrepairable failure, or the transmission needs to be rebuilt, or the suspension is worn out.
Your estimate will be based on how much you pay for an engine, rebuild costs, parts, etc. Shop around for performance shops to do the work for you and get their estimate, shop for the parts you need and always ask questions for alternatives. One example of alternatives is; is the supercharger really necessary?? Will a well built 360 be enough? How about a stroker 408? These engines are readily available, which eliminates the cost of a custom build that accommodates a supercharger.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts