Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow member , I have a 04 hemi durango and the connecting rods have bent so I am looking into a new hemi . I have seen the 5.7 hemi eagle crate engine online for a good price, and I was wondering if anybody knows if it will drop in with little work or is it a huge pita to get it to work ?

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
yes it should if its the same year motor or similar to yours it will fit. as long as the motor it not converted to carb then your good

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
I do not believe it is a swap in change, the "Eagle" is the latest version of the 5.7, it has variable cam timing which I do not believe would be compatible with your year engine controller. I would spend some time doing research before pulling the trigger on one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info . I will have to do more research and possibly see if can find a direct drop in crate engine for cheaper than the 7 thousand dollars the dealer quoted me .

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,743 Posts
F that. Get yours rebuilt. You could build a stroker with a bigger cam and head work for less than that. Shophemi.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know mopar performance sells a unassembled 6.1 bottom end for 2k so I will probably go that route and build a motor will alittle bit more power.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the info . I will have to do more research and possibly see if can find a direct drop in crate engine for cheaper than the 7 thousand dollars the dealer quoted me .
Go across the border and i'll bet the price will be almost half of that. The engine will work in an 04 you will need to change the intake because of the variable intake runners or figure out a way to run the stock one. I THINK it would run with it disconnected.
As for the Variable Valve Timing lock it out with a Comp Cams phaser locking kit. Then you can run it with an 03 to 08 computer.
Don't know if all this is worth the effort?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts