Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 chevy Silverado with the 5.3 4x4, I am wanting to drop the whole drive train in my 1990 SE 4X4 Dakota regular cab long bed, just seeing if anyone has done this yet and if its possible. Even see what it takes to do it

·
I hate you people.
2,787 Posts
It is possible but you will need to grab everything under the Silverado's hood to make this work: engine harness, transmission, PCM, radiator, etc. You will also need the instrument cluster as the 90 Dakota's bus comms was CCD and will not work with the GM stuff. You are also going to have to fabricate some things, such as motor mounts, trans mounts, and oil pan to make this swap work in the Dakota.
If you wanted to do a V8 swap, a 5.2 swap is easier and doesn't require a lot of fabrication.

·
Likes More Power!
211 Posts
I'm swapping in a 5.3 Chevy LM4 with 4L80 on my 1998 Durango here. Hindsight being 20/20, this is the most difficult swap I've ever done. I've swapped Chevy V8s into 2x RX-7s, a Supra, a 280Z, and a BMW (which until now was the worst). All were manual transmissions, the Supra and BMW were auto-to-manual conversions. I thought being an automatic would make this easier. It wasn't. I'm having to run 2x computers- the Dodge for the cruise control and the GM for the engine and trans. The fact yours is also a 4x4 means you'll run into other problems as well. Example: I spent well over month figuring out how to mount the trans-mounted transfer case shifter onto the 4L80. It's still not together, but I've made some good progress in recent months.

I second the other advice on using a 5.2 or 5.9 Mopar V8 and corresponding transmission.

·
Likes More Power!
211 Posts
just gotta ask.... WHY?
Because I'm a Chevy guy that loves my Durango. Thought I could get the best of both worlds when the trans started slipping & do something to improve the MPG. The Gen 3 / Gen 4 Chevy V8 is durable, easy to make power, and parts are relatively cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts