Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I like trucks
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious...has anyone swapped a 4.7 into a dak that originally had the 3.9 or the 5.2?? Any problems??

·
Registered
497 Posts
Transmission, Motor mounts, computer, and other small things I'm sure.

It sure wouldn't be worth to do it. A 3.9 to a 5.2, or a 5.2 to a 5.9 isn't that bad of a swap, but a 4.7 wouldn't be worth it. It produces similiar power to the 5.2 so if you have one of the old blocks you may as well stay that way. There really is no advantage between the two except another 5.2 (or 5.9) would probably be cheaper.

·
I like trucks
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sam Cler said:
Transmission, Motor mounts, computer, and other small things I'm sure.

It sure wouldn't be worth to do it. A 3.9 to a 5.2, or a 5.2 to a 5.9 isn't that bad of a swap, but a 4.7 wouldn't be worth it. It produces similiar power to the 5.2 so if you have one of the old blocks you may as well stay that way. There really is no advantage between the two except another 5.2 (or 5.9) would probably be cheaper.
Yea the motor mounts were what I was really getting at...I didnt know if they were setup differently.

·
I like trucks
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YellowKota2k said:
I'd say it isn't worth it also. You can do some pretty nice mods to that 5.2 which would keep a 4.7 away.
Yea I could I guess.. I just know I would hate myself if I sold my truck...but I really like the 4.7's. I guess I could do a 5.9 swap also but who knows.

·
Clean Machine
972 Posts
i wouldnt swap to a 5.9, im not 100% sure, but im pretty sure the 360 is basically a bored out 318(that may not be true or it could be a different bore/stroke?). if i were you id just rebuild it, and the do the set up like bcschanendid. :biggthump

not to start crap, but stock for stock the 4.7 did replace the 5.2, putting out more power with better emmisions ;)

·
I like trucks
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4point7dak said:
i wouldnt swap to a 5.9, im not 100% sure, but im pretty sure the 360 is basically a bored out 318(that may not be true or it could be a different bore/stroke?). if i were you id just rebuild it, and the do the set up like bcschanendid. :biggthump

not to start crap, but stock for stock the 4.7 did replace the 5.2, putting out more power with better emmisions ;)
Yea I think a 5.9 would be the way to go.

If im not mistaken I think the 4.7 has 5 more hp and the 5.2 has 5 more tq. Something like that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's a different bore and stroke and please, whatever you do, do not start a 4.7 vs. 5.2/5.9 war :bow:

·
Clean Machine
972 Posts
Sam Cler said:
It's a different bore and stroke and please, whatever you do, do not start a 4.7 vs. 5.2/5.9 war :bow:
i wasnt meanin to, just sayin what i read. 5.2 vs 4.7 is really what you perfer modular or oldschool(the 318/360 are bout the same as they were since the mid 70's but with fuel injection)
and yea i think it is alot easier to build up a 5.2 over a 4.7

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
T.j. said:
If im not mistaken I think the 4.7 has 5 more hp and the 5.2 has 5 more tq. Something like that.
That's right. Since they pretty much make the same power, the real differences would be in the weight, powerband, and potential power. Both great engines though.

Sam Cler said:
:jester: Definitely not that can of worms again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
5.2 vs 4.7 both extremely durable motors I own one of each

4.7 (running)
5.2(project halted)

If your gonna build a whole motor up... right now go with the 5.2 much more stuff available and it's EASY to get 400 HP out of the 5.2 with cheap mods...

the 4.7 is relatively brand new... so it needs some time... either way you go you win... you have a mopar.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.