Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 dakota 4wd 5 speed has the 3.9 blew up.. i have a 92 dakota 2wd 5.2 automatic i want to use its motor in my 93 can someone give me a good list of stuff I need to do to make this work mainly wiring harness issues im having the 5.2 harness is completely different from my 3.9 dakotas harness i have the whole 5.2 truck for a donor

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,469 Posts
Actually, 92/93 harnesses are almost identical, according to the FSM.

The engine harness needs two more injector wires, you'll need a V8 ECU (hey, there's one on the inner fender of the 92!), and that should do it. IDEALLY you'd locate a 93 V8 5 speed ECU to avoid any possible code 45 ( see dakota-truck.net/CODES/codes.php for what THAT can be!)

What's actually different?

Also, it may not hurt to pick up the factory service manuals for BOTH trucks (the 92 and the 93).

RwP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 93 dakota 4wd 5 speed has the 3.9 blew up.. i have a 92 dakota 2wd 5.2 automatic i want to use its motor in my 93 can someone give me a good list of stuff I need to do to make this work mainly wiring harness issues im having the 5.2 harness is completely different from my 3.9 dakotas harness
Edit i have the whole 2wd truck as a donor for my swap

The engine harness needs two more injector wires, you'll need a V8 ECU (hey, there's one on the inner fender of the 92!), and that should do it. IDEALLY you'd locate a 93 V8 5 speed ECU to avoid any possible code 45 ( see dakota-truck.net/CODES/codes.php for what THAT can be!)

Also, it may not hurt to pick up the factory service manuals for BOTH trucks (the 92 and the 93).

RwP
Can't I use just the motor harness and ecm out of the 92 in the 93 ? And the rest of the 93 harness stay in the truck ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

RwP
Alot of the harness plugs are in different locations in the harness its self

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,469 Posts
Alot of the harness plugs are in different locations in the harness its self
OK. First, which harness? The motor harness? The cab harness? The engine bay harness?

They will move some between the motors on the ENGINE harness; that's perfectly normal.

Here's the parts lists for both the V6 and the V8, both years, attached as a PDF. Do notice that for the same options, the engine bay wiring harnesses are THE EXACT SAME PART NUMBER.

RwP

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
After doing a lot of research getting ready for the swap I ran into a few issues, but the one that really caught me off guard was the fact that in order to use an automatic motor with a manual transmission you may need a pilot bearing carrier. (Most of the automatic motors are not drilled to accept a pilot bearing.) They are readily available if you know ahead of time. I got mine at Advance auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. First, which harness? The motor harness? The cab harness? The engine bay harness?

They will move some between the motors on the ENGINE harness; that's perfectly normal.

Here's the parts lists for both the V6 and the V8, both years, attached as a PDF. Do notice that for the same options, the engine bay wiring harnesses are THE EXACT SAME PART NUMBER.

RwP
Thanks I have went a different route I bought another truck 3.9 and auto gonna use it to fix bkth trucks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts