Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MOPAR RULES!
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres what i have its a 99 or 00 5.2 out of a full size 2wd cc long bed 5spd ram. i didn,t here or see it run but i was told it had plenty of power and ran great buttt it is smoking allot from how i take it . my ? is could it be the intake problems they have be making one smoke. any ideas would be great ! oh and i believe the engine has like 100k on it.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Could be the belly pan is blown and it's sucking oil in there...only way to tell is to check it out.

Could also be toasted rings or bad valve seals.

·
MOPAR RULES!
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
smokin

thanks for your info im gonna check the intake and keep my fingers crossed and hope thats the prob .. i just didnt know if the intake problem would cause the engine to smoke but still run fine .. or if anyone had seen one do this .the threads ive been reading havent really said anything about exhaust smoking... and i havent really seen any 5.2s that smoked or at least not very much . and i hate to put the engine in and it be something serious.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Look down thru the throttle body with a flashlight you should be able to see oil if the belly pan is blown. As far as rings and valves are concerned - due a compression test and a leak down test on the cylinders. That should help pin point which cylinders are weak.
Good luck

·
Registered
296 Posts
The plenum gaskets is known to go out in these vehicles a lot. It is because the intake is aluminum and the "belly pan" is steel, they expand at different rates and over time the gasket fails. Do look inside for oil, the factory service manual will also outline how to check with a vacuum gauge. Bad gas milage and lower power output are also symptoms to the plenum going out. Can eventually lead to bigger mechanical problems.

When you replace the plenum you can consider getting a plenum plate form hughes engineering, it aluminum and replaces your steel plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts