Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at and will probably get a 03 Durango this weekend, but I have a question. It has 2wd/4wd hi/4wd lo. Most of the other Durango's I have seen don't have 2wd they have AWD. Is there any disadvantage to the 2wd/4wd models? I would think it would get a hair better gas mileage then the AWD, but I just want to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake by getting the 2wd/4wd drive train...

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
You will get NO better or worse gas mileage with one or the other. Everything in the front (axle shafts, differential, driveshaft) still rotates so it would make no difference either way. I got rid of my AWD (by swapping the transfercase) because I offroad my truck and wanted 2wd. If it were to stay a daily driver and not leave the pavement, I probably would have kept the AWD.

When it comes down to it, it's just what you want. Full-time 4wd vs. 2wd with selectable 4wd. The only difference between the two would really be:

AWD does not have 2wd.
vs.
4wd can't be ran on the street, yet has 2wd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I read up on this on how stuff works.

So, I'm getting a pretty good deal on the thing and I test drove it and liked it. I probably won't be going off roading anytime soon, but I do need something for the occasional snow during the winter.

So is there any really good reason I should not get this one with the part time 4wd?

Should I pass this up and keep looking?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
srt4hokie said:
What does this mean? I can't drive it in 4wd hi on the street?

What about in rain and such?
PT 4x4 can only be used on loose surfaces. Very wet roads, yes but on damp roads, you are take your chances on damaging your driveline.

I have a 99 Durnago with the Full Time option which does have 2wd selectable. In FT 4x4 it is the same drive mode as the AWD. Mine has been in FT for 99.5% of the time of 105k. I got the FT so it is engaged when you need it during changing conditions and loss of traction situations. No there is no difference in mileage in 2wd mode.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So to confirm, if the selector says 2wd/4hi/4lo it is most likely part time 4 wheel drive not full time correct? I'm going to find out for sure, but I'm just guessing that this is the case.

·
i gots me a duuuhrango!!
33 Posts
I've got the same setup you're looking at, as in the 2wd is the primary drive mode. I'm stationed in Alaska, and from about Nov to Mar/April of last winter, I ran mine in 4hi, without any problems. The AWD would be great and all, but really not necessary. And to answer you're question, yes, if it says 2wd, then it's part time 4wd, the part time being when you select it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.