Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any tips on how to remove the top starter bolt or the top bolt of the bracket that holds trans to front diff?

cant get either out cuz no room to work.:rant:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really wish I could help you because I did a r&r on my 4x4 95 Dakota but it sounds like your set up is defferent than mine. My front diff. is connected to my motor mounts, which the front diff. had to come out in order to remove the trans. Alot of those bolts that I removed were in ackward places and had to come in under the bumper with about two and a half foot long extension to get them, because there was now room to get to the bolts or nuts with just a wrech or socket wrech. The best advice that I can give you is look from the outside of where this bolt is at and see if you can come in through the fender well or like I had to from under the bumper with a long extension. I wish you luck it's a real pain but once you get it back together it will have been worth it.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can get in thru the fender well but with like 2 inches to work with and not a long enough wrench...mines like a foot long i need one thats like 2 feet long.

·
Registered
20 Posts
can you get the boxed end on the bolt? If so you can take the boxed end of another wrench and fit it so that it will lock on to the wrench that you have connected to the bolt. I will give you a longer handle and more leverage. Make sure you use a wrench a that will fit with that one your using and that your going the right way. Every time I first hook the two up I make the mistake of having it going the wrong way.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not enough room. u need to move it upwards and upwards there is like 1/4-1/2 inch to move. sucks ass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry I think I confused my self and probably you. If you can connect the boxed end on the bolt or nut and the open end is down where you can connect the boxed end of another wrench to that wrech you will have an extension and more leverage. If not I'm sure that you can get a longer wrench as a loner from you local auto parts store, you just have to put down a deposite.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no such thing as "local" where i live. lol. but the guy doing the trans for me said he might have a longer wrench. i was just trying to help him so i can get this done faster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
what about a ratchet style wrench. you don't need to have a lot of room to operate those. I sure wish I had a set of those when I was doing my trans. I wish I could see what you were dealing with. So there's absolutley no other place to get this bolt from. Is the head facing the rear or the front of your durango?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah when I did mine I really had to be creative. I had to take out my 4x4 selector and go through that hole to get to some of the bolts on my transfer case and transmission. Going through the air dam under my bumper fender well it was really crazy. It was worth it though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts