Dakota Durango Forum banner

4x4 power AND fuel economy....

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DurangoBeard 
#1 ·
So i have a 99 Durango 4x4. 5.9 it has now 227k...i have no real mods other than 33/12.5s on stock rim...no lift. Its my daily driver regular Vegas traffic with highway speeds. I off road usually 2 -3 times a week. "Long way to work" i call it lol.
Im seeing consistent 12.1 mpg. Id like to raise that...so i know lots of things to do but the biggest i can think of is tuning. Is it even work spending the money on a tuner for my stick vehicle. Ive read SCT can have 3 tunes. Would it give me and MPG gain on a stock vehicle if the SCT can do anything at all to my stock durango. Id like to know b4 i track one down and a tuner.

#2 ·
No. If you're looking for a performance boost, you can get a mild one with a tuner. This usually comes at the cost of fuel economy.

Tuners I've experimented with can alter driveability, change shift points, optimize for towing, or higher octane fuel.

No tuner is going to give you better fuel economy.

#4 ·
I agree.

I'm guessing that you have the 3.92 gears with the 5.9. The only real way to get better mileage would be to change those to a more "highway friendly" gear set, say 3.55, maybe the 3.23.

#5 ·
Well like i said if i could be in the dirt i would so i do need to do something with my gearing after i finish off this tranny. Im 5.9 stock but i have 33/12.5/15 on it so tranny might have a big impact on mpg...i put the 33s on april or march i was at 13.1 now ivw watched it slowly drop to 12 even. So im not sure if the mpg thing is finally catching up or if i have other issues...but i wrench full time so when i start my truck it fires up no hesitation and when off trail overlanding in and out of washes and hill easily 50ft plus i get no fuss. When im done put it in 2 and drive to work:) so issues have to be issues for me to wrench in this weather lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.