Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I rage, therefore I am.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After this last snow storm, I had to try to tow my daughter's Civic up our driveway and the D wouldn't even budge. In 4wd only the two right wheels were turning so we went nowhere.

Anyway, I'm going to fix this. I'm looking for personal experiences with either the Auburn Gear LSD or the Richmond Gear PowerTrax insert.

Cost is about a wash, About $60 more for the PowerTrax but much easier install for me.

I'm leaning toward the Powertrax but if someone here knows that it clanks around like the Detroit Locker in my Firebird then that could swing it to AG as the D is my wife's driver. (The D is a stock 2001 4.7L with the 9.25" axle and 4spd auto.)

Thanks in advance.

B

·
0 Posts
Man that blows that only two wheels were turning. Sort of defeats the purpose of 4WD. When I got my '04 4x4, I mentioned to my dad that I was getting an LSD and he was very surprised since I was getting a 4x4. Based on your story, it's probably a good idea that I did. Good luck with changing out the differentials.

·
Registered
250 Posts
when i wheeling hard the factory lsd still slips and lets only one rear wheel spin... pisses me off! i think i too will upgrade to an auburn lsd in the future. i want to put 4.56 gears in at the same time thou.

·
I rage, therefore I am.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered a Powertrax No-slip locker. It's due to arrive Tuesday. It was on closeout so I'm a bit nervous about condition, but the shop said it was complete. I'll let you know what I think when I install it.

·
1 Ton Dakota
878 Posts
you will be very happy with a gear/lsd swap. My dak has 4.56s and a AUBURN lsd and i couldnt be happier. My 4.56s help me tow just about anything, and when offroading, the auburn does its job well. :biggthump

·
I rage, therefore I am.
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well. Now I know why it was cheap. It was mis-labeled on their site. So, I now have a Powertrax No-Slip locker for a 9.25" rear with the Dana Trac-Lock system. In other words, this locker will fit as a rebuild for your truck that came with a factory posi unit. The Model number is 92-0392-3125. (My truck has a factory open rear so this unit won't fit.)

Before I try to wrangle them into taking it back, (since it was marked no return on clearance) I'll give it up for SOLD. Reply here or PM me if anyone is interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts