Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I got to tear down the entire tranny down to the case and with the OD Assembled Didn't find anything wrong but I still have no issues with Rebuilding it. I did drop the low sprag though:(

Okay here is the details as the tear down without the transmission:
After the Oil Pump is removed -- I used a slide hammer, worked quite well.

Remove The band.

Number 1 will come out or you will pull number 1 and 2 together.

3 and 4 will come together.

5 & 6 try and pull with the intermediate shaft together. Which is number 8. There is a few snap rings on the way i just don't remember which ones exactly. There is two rings in total.

7 Will be sitting at the bottom of the case with a band around it. Once you remove number 7. Remove the sprag. Im sure the band has some secret to remove but I fought with it. and ended dropping the sprag and will be needed a new one...
3 Pinion Planetary. -- This is a weak link you can upgrade to a 4 pinion.

Sun Gear and Shell

4 Pinion Planetary this sits in the shell and sun gear. With the Ring Gear.

Reverse Drum (I think?)

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Holy crap...good luck putting it back together lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good day.

I just finished rebuilding two 46re's, one stock the other with APS parts top to bottom (or should I say front to back).

It really isn't bad at all. The biggest pain was installing the Trans-Go shift kit, but that’s because I was probably being over meticulous. Didn't want to have to drop the pan or chase problems.

If you have any questions, let me know. If I can find it, I have links to an ATSG video that is somewhat dated but still gives a good introduction as well as a digital copy of the ATSG service manual. I also bought the green Mopar service manual set.

5000 + miles on the rebuilds and no problems.

Good luck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Awesome Varsis. I have been wanting to see an auto rebuild thread with pics. I am definatley marking this one. Have one in the Durango.

Thank Rapid for the info. How do you like the transgo kit? I would like to put one into my 45RFE. Not going to rebuild yet, at 168,000 miles it is still going strong.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I did have some of these actually already from dodge forum. I have the video and your PDF. I did notice some differences in the older version to the new version. (Via Video)

Thanks for the atsg manual that will be helpful. I was going to buy one but I will just print out this one instead.

I was going to buy parts from aps with a rebuild kit. But I plan on trying out NADP.ca Since they are close to me and are local and shipping or picking up would be 10x faster than order from california.

More pics to come when I can get my hands on a press at a friends house or at someones shop.

Chris

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok did some calling around today and I think I will be ordering my parts from APS. Their Price is RIGHT, comes with all new bearings ect... NADP wanted that separate and not even close to the same rebuild kit for like ten times as much. but I think I will get a torque converter from them though.

Here are the parts im Ordering:
Wave Snap Ring
APS Racing Master Rebuild Kits
High Strength Cast Band
Transgo Shift Kit

I hopefully will get it shipped out sometime today... or tomorrow and get it pretty quickly.... I want it together, but I would rather save a few hundred bucks and wait a few days longer.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to a buddy of mine I think I will be Just replacing the snap ring a few wear areas from lack of oil changes After what looks like a rebuild The Band looks like a new one, same with the rear. Clutches look good. After further inspection.
Clutch

Front Band

Will be replacing a few thrust washers and bushings and that snap ring.

Tell me what you guys think the band looks like a new one.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pulled all of the clutches out the front ones still have the grooves im them. Also had two plates that come out in the shape of the Wave snap ring... All the other ones are fine. and just the metal plates.

Can anyone telling me the thickness on the new clutches for the Whole tranny?

Thanks
Chris

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Rear clutch clearance is .025-.045" total.
Front clutch is .070-.129" total.

The rebuild kit should come with different thickness frictions and you can juggle those around to get the clutch packs to spec. I use a round spark plug gap tool to check clutch pack clearances in between the top plate and the last friction.

Brian

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
If they still have friction material on them they will work or were working. Most of the plates in the TF's are .070 or .090" thick, IIRC. But that is just a BS number since total clearance is the objective.

Brian

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Frictions are all good. I was supposed to get a new front band but turns out the guy forgot to put it in the box! DOH. So Might be assembling without a new one.

But I had a question, my od sprag. It is missing one roller. Just one though. There is one above it looks like someone lost the piece and stuck it in anyways will this cause any ill effects? Just wondering...

This is what my front band looks like.

Okay to reuse? Just wanted to know. Im not about to go back to the city for a front band. Especially if I can reuse it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone have any tips for getting the low-reverse servo in? I just keep cutting the seal up... I wrecked two already.. new and an old one... It just gets stuck at the top, and is really really hard to push in. I used atf to try and lube it up.

Chris

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
End play is ok. Spec I have is .034-.084"

As for the servo seal, if it's in the case, vaseline and a C-clamp if you can't put it in with your fingers pressing down squarely on it. If it is for the drum, I use an extra long .004" or .006" feeler gauge to work the piston back into the drum.

Brian

1 - 20 of 100 Posts