Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here are the pics:
First one here shows on a towel new oil left compared to the oil in the tranny on the right. And a piece that was stuck to the magnet.

Close up of piece in oil pan.

Oil Pan showing some metal filings around it.

Magnet minus Piece

Valve Body

VB

VB

I have a video uploading that shows the play in the torque converter that I got with it. And the play in the output shaft... Which I don't know if you will see.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yep..

Re-build time...Exactly the same piece I found in my 46-RE pan.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ah okay. Looks like a piece of the snap ring. Was there anything major wrong with the tranny? Or just in need of some new clutches?
It's FUBARED...get it rebuilt.

·
Registered
429 Posts
There is alot of steel inside one. Most of the geartrain is steel. It really does not look too bad from the pictures. The oil is smoked, but there is not much clutch mud in the pan, and the metal shavings are not out of line. I doubt you have any severe damage, just a normal rebuild.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
have it gone through.... if the oil is not red/pinkish and does not have a sweet pungent smell, its done....

IIRC, only the case is alum.... most if the internals are steel. stock planet gears have a poss of being alum or soft steel.... thus reson most over drves fail

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oil smells just like the new oil just looks dirty and there was a piece of what looks like a snap ring or something in the oil pan and a little bit of silver in the bottom of the pan maybe just wear and tear tranny has about 200k miles. or 250k km's. It's not a loss to me. As I wanted to upgrade to a 46re -> So I found one cheap 280 bucks to be exact which most people will pay for a core. If It was okay when I got it I was going to run it. But looks like it needs a rebuild. I plan on doing a few upgrades my original plan was 800 hp build it for to hold for a long time. But money has come short and might just do a normal rebuild with a few extra clutches or something.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Oil smells just like the new oil just looks dirty and there was a piece of what looks like a snap ring or something in the oil pan and a little bit of silver in the bottom of the pan maybe just wear and tear tranny has about 200k miles. or 250k km's. It's not a loss to me. As I wanted to upgrade to a 46re -> So I found one cheap 280 bucks to be exact which most people will pay for a core. If It was okay when I got it I was going to run it. But looks like it needs a rebuild. I plan on doing a few upgrades my original plan was 800 hp build it for to hold for a long time. But money has come short and might just do a normal rebuild with a few extra clutches or something.
What?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL Maybe re read it. Anyways I plan On Taking DETAILED Pictures step by step and posting them up when I do the tear down and Rebuild. I watched a portion of a tear down video and it looked Very simple. So hopefully Can get it done within a few days.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
LOL Maybe re read it. Anyways I plan On Taking DETAILED Pictures step by step and posting them up when I do the tear down and Rebuild. I watched a portion of a tear down video and it looked Very simple. So hopefully Can get it done within a few days.
Take pics fo sho....I have 2001 46RE gathering dust, I thought it would be fun to open it up and look inside....Our weak link is the overdrive.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take pics fo sho....I have 2001 46RE gathering dust, I thought it would be fun to open it up and look inside....Our weak link is the overdrive.
Yea that I know. Well I might be getting a rebuild kit instead of buying a winch now. To be honest I do most of my driving in town. Does anyone have any input on the weak spots?

Chris

·
Registered
429 Posts
I do not do alot of 46RE trannys, but I do alot of 47RH/RE and 48REs. The 46 can be beefed up alot in the planetaries as well as clutch count in all the sub assemblies.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I plan on adding in the extra clutches to the overdrive also to the front/direct drum (If thats the proper name for it.)

I may also do the hard parts as you said but I think my budget will be in the 700-800 dollar range.

Did you get my pm?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would not reuse that converter without rebuilding it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts