Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question for you tranny guru's. I have a chance to purchase a 46RE built transmission for a pretty decent offer and would like to know will a 2000 model fit my 1998 model? The 2000 model came out of a reg cab r/t Dakota and mine is also a reg cab r/t Dakota. I would think this tranny should bolt right up to mine, yes? Give me a shout out... Thanks

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The only thing you need to make sure is exactly the same is the neutral safety switch. If they are the same then it will work all day long

·
Registered
47 Posts
96-99 RE's use a different temp/pressure sensor than 2000 up. They read differently and should not be exchanged. The older style has a four prong oval connector and is a round metal sensor. The 2000 and up sensor uses a four prong rectangle connector and is a square plastic sensor.
However, if you have your old valvebody you can swap the old harness along with the sensor and solenoid from your 98 into the 2000 and install in your truck.
If your new transmission is "built" and has a shift kit, see if there is a resistor in the red wire on the new transmission harness between the plug and the sensor. If so, remove and solder into the red wire on the '98 harness when you swap it into the 2000.
As already mentioned, make sure the new trans is a 2000 with the old style NSS and not the 01 and later PRNDL switch! These cases are different and require an adapter to convert to the older switch, along with a valvebody swap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts