Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend with a 2003 Dodge Dakota CC 4x4 4.7 V-8 with the 45RFE transmission. It wont start in 1st unless the shifter is in "1". Also, she thinks it is not shifting into O/D. It just happened today. There is a CEL. I will check the code out tomorrow afternoon. Any ideas or similar problems?

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Limp mode gets 2nd, 3rd and reverse ONLY. No lockup, no OD and 2nd or 3rd is selected by the shift lever, will start in 3rd if you don't shift down.

Definetly check the code, but you may get a generic P0700 trans code that won't tell you anything. Reset the computer and have her drive it some...see if the issue persists.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Limp mode gets 2nd, 3rd and reverse ONLY. No lockup, no OD and 2nd or 3rd is selected by the shift lever, will start in 3rd if you don't shift down.

Definetly check the code, but you may get a generic P0700 trans code that won't tell you anything. Reset the computer and have her drive it some...see if the issue persists.
Thanks a lot! I should find out tonight what the code is. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
OMG 4.7L
493 Posts
Anyone a tech on here? I went over every wire and possible connection flaw today with no results. When I put in the new solenoid block the valve body was in perfect shape and there was no metal in the pan. Do I really have to get a new pcm or tcm? I'm sick of screwing with these ghost issues.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I had the same problem in my stratus for almost a year before I figured out what was wrong. It would shift fine for the first 3 times I stoped and started, then would go to 2nd gear limp. I would always put it in neutral, shut it off then turn it back on again, REALLY FUN! ha, then I found out it was like a $10 sensor that went bad, through that in and totally fixed it. Was really pissed I drove it for that long when it was something so simple, but I was a broke ass 16yr old not about to put what I thought would be a new transmission in a $2500 car.

^^What codes are you getting 00dakotav8? It could just be your transmission is shot, limp mode kicks in for that to if I remember right. And with the way auto trannys work you really wouldn't get metal in the pan even if it's shot, unless it was REALLY messed up. What color was the fluid?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I honestly dont know what all they did. I just heard the solenoid pack was replaced. She took it to the dealer which I thought was bs as Im sure she paid about double for it. I heard the truck has been running great since though.

·
OMG 4.7L
493 Posts
I had the same problem in my stratus for almost a year before I figured out what was wrong. It would shift fine for the first 3 times I stoped and started, then would go to 2nd gear limp. I would always put it in neutral, shut it off then turn it back on again, REALLY FUN! ha, then I found out it was like a $10 sensor that went bad, through that in and totally fixed it. Was really pissed I drove it for that long when it was something so simple, but I was a broke ass 16yr old not about to put what I thought would be a new transmission in a $2500 car.

^^What codes are you getting 00dakotav8? It could just be your transmission is shot, limp mode kicks in for that to if I remember right. And with the way auto trannys work you really wouldn't get metal in the pan even if it's shot, unless it was REALLY messed up. What color was the fluid?
Color of the fluid was still a perfect red. I've been getting p0760 every time, and I replaced the solenoid block with a brand new one. Something is happening where the tcm is not communicating properly with the Sol. Block. It shifted perfectly fine up until it went into limp, and still shifts ok from 2-3 (limp does some funny things with the shifting)

·
OMG 4.7L
493 Posts
The battery was not properly connected (corrosion was a big problem), and it shorted everything out one morning and reset everything. The night before the trans worked flawlessly, once I cleaned off the corrosion and properly attached the terminal connectors to the battery posts and started it up, it was in limp. So I'm guessing since the relays are fine, as well as all the fuses, the computer is causing the problem. I'm going to grab a TCU this weekend, have it reflashed to my vin, and see if that fixes the issue.

Since the TCU's are housed inside the metal case with about an inch of silicon gel on each side, it is difficult to check for problems on the actual circuit board. Like I said I'm sick of it, so I'll just throw more money at it and hope it works.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
There any sensors that could cause it? What do you mean that it shorted everything out? It kind of sounds like if it had to go through all the check tests that a sensor was bad and just hadn't been caught before, but IDK.

That car is the reason I don't want to own autos anymore haha, I like being able to shift when I want and not worry about so many different things that could be wrong.

·
OMG 4.7L
493 Posts
Yeah that would be other good news, knowing murphy's law the TCU alone won't fix my problem and I'm sure I'll have to replace all the external sensors on the trans as well. It shouldn't be to bad to do those, however, I'm pulling the trans out in a week to throw the stall in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.