Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Durango with a 4.7/45rfe, 4x4, 115,000mi., and am having some intermittent problems. About a year ago it started to act like the converter was staying locked up during deceleration. Usually it would just pull the engine RPM down and then it would "release" and it would idle fine. Upon further examination, i noticed that it would only do this a few times when the truck had first been started and after it warmed up, it acted completly normal. I talked to 4 or 5 different transmission shops and on their recommendations changed out all of the electronic components in the transmission. I have replaced the input speed sensor, output speed sensor, line pressure sensor and swapped the entire solenoid pack for a new style(white plug) version. After all of that, the transmission still acted the same. Once spring hit, the severity of the problem decreased and after throwing a bunch of money at it, I decided to live with it for the summer. Now that the temperature has dropped again, the problem has come back with a vengance and has brought some other problems with it. Now, on a cold morning, when i start my truck and put it in gear, it engages into 3rd gear and goes into limp mode. If i put it back in park and cycle the key a few times, it will work like normal (still has the downshift problem). I am at a loss and don't have the downtime available to pull the tranny. Does anyone know what could possibly be causing all of these problems?

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
When it hits limp mode, you need to find out what code it's throwing. That'll give you somewhere to look.

If the converter really was staying locked, the TCM would throw a code once it decided it needed the TC unlocked...trust me there. It has redundant system checks to make sure things happen when it wants them to (electronically speaking).

IF the converter IS staying locked, it's mechanical...not electrical.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I didn't include this in the original message, it seemed like it was getting kind of long. When it hits limp mode, the code is a vague p0700 code, general transmission fault, as checked on a recently updated Snap-On Modis system. Also, I know the converter isn't the problem, it is just the only way i can describe what it feels like. It will do it just off idle, coming to a stop in 1st gear, never having upshifted. Having had a car when i was younger that had a bad converter that would stay engaged, I would compare this feeling to that, only this one is not as severe. Also, just in case any trys to call my bluff, I'm a fully ASE certified tech. I'm just trying to see if anyone else has had the same symptoms. I am tired of fighting it and am about ready to give up. Please help.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
The dealer should be able to pull a specific code from the computer with their DRB. Might be worth the effort...

3 Posts
has anyone tried replacing the trans fluid pressure sensor ? my obd2 plug is jacked up and the only code i've been able to see was po876 transmission fluid pressure sensor Circuit D when googled i found cheap shot at fixing it witch would be replacing the (tfps) not sure what it means by circuit d if anyone could clear that up it would help also

3 Posts
I have a 2000 Durango with a 4.7/45rfe, 4x4, 115,000mi., and am having some intermittent problems. About a year ago it started to act like the converter was staying locked up during deceleration. Usually it would just pull the engine RPM down and then it would "release" and it would idle fine. Upon further examination, i noticed that it would only do this a few times when the truck had first been started and after it warmed up, it acted completly normal. I talked to 4 or 5 different transmission shops and on their recommendations changed out all of the electronic components in the transmission. I have replaced the input speed sensor, output speed sensor, line pressure sensor and swapped the entire solenoid pack for a new style(white plug) version. After all of that, the transmission still acted the same. Once spring hit, the severity of the problem decreased and after throwing a bunch of money at it, I decided to live with it for the summer. Now that the temperature has dropped again, the problem has come back with a vengance and has brought some other problems with it. Now, on a cold morning, when i start my truck and put it in gear, it engages into 3rd gear and goes into limp mode. If i put it back in park and cycle the key a few times, it will work like normal (still has the downshift problem). I am at a loss and don't have the downtime available to pull the tranny. Does anyone know what could possibly be causing all of these problems?
did u try to replace trans fluid pressure sensor or the transmission temp sensor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts