Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Wondering if any one can help?
I have purchased a 2000 Dakota sport 4.7.
When I put it into drive it holds first, I can manually shift to 2nd but D only gives me 1st.
I have scanned and have no transmission fault codes.
It pulled po455 and po551. Vacuum leak and power steering pressure switch (now on order.
I have replaced the solenoid block fluid filters etc and still have the same issue.
I've ordered the speed sensors and pressure switch.
Has anybody had a similar issue?
I'd hoped it would throw a fault code to help track the issue.
Thanks and regards from the UK
Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are a couple things to check easily, do your speedometer and tachometer work? Either one would be a bad speed sensor or bad wires to the speed sensor and would leave you in limp home mode. Next could be no power to the transmission relay, first check if the relay labed transmission relay clicks when put in gear with engine running. if it does then it could be just a bad relay, or bad wires going to the transmission. the wires going into the transmission like to fray and corrode next to the plug on the transmission, If that is it you will have to splice in a new connector pigtail, they are available from the Chrysler dealer. If the relay does not click, check for power to the relay terminal 85 or 86 will have power with engine running, if no power check both terminals on the small plug going to the alternator there should be power to both, if none then the pcm or the wire coming from the pcm has a problem the pcm excites the alternator. I you only have power from one that means there is an alternator problem. The alter nator could still charge if the return circuit is grounded out in the alternator. The relay gets power from the return wire from the alternator. If you have power from both then you are possibly not getting a ground to activate the relay, and that ground comes from the pcm. So then check the wire from the pcm and make sure all of the grounds are good. That should get you started. Have fun
Norm

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would disconnect the negative at the battery post, remove the plug from the tcm, inspect terminals during a 5 minute wait, reinstall the plug, and connect the battery back. Hopefully you have solved your problem by now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well after another test drive, she now gets to 3rd and slip's. So the new solenoid pack has solved one issue. Managed to find an old post exactly the same symptoms which point's towards the valve block. Fluid was and still is clean. No metal on the sump magnet. So I'm going to rebuild the valve block and see how it goes. Fingers crossed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts