Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well last year I started having cold shifting issues in the morning in the 2-3 shift, usually just the first shift of the day and sometimes the 2nd. I changed the fluid and filter and adjusted the bands which seemed to help at first but it warmed up here shortly after. It was all fine through the summer.

This winter it starting acting up again as soon as it got cold again. This time it was a little worse though, and had trouble shifting in the 1-2 one morning and also into overdrive at 45-50mph after already warmed up. When I dropped the pan I did not find any big or small chunks of metal, the fluid was not burnt, and nothing but your normal crap on the magnet.

I had some similar issues with my Ford Explorer about 2 years ago in the 2-3 shift that was getting so bad it would kick it into limp mode shortly after driving, turned out it was a very common problem with blown valve body gaskets (alot different than the Durango valve bodies) in these. I had taken the ex into 3 different tranny shops and was told i needed a $1800-$2500 rebuild at each one. I swapped the valve body in that myself with a reman from Central Valve Bodies who i found on Ebay and it fixed the issue. 25k later and no problems yet.

I decided to swap the valve body in my Durango before I gave up and pulled the trans or took it to a shop. I got another reman from Central Valve Bodies and with "some" help from you guys here got it in. After 2 cold mornings and not letting the truck warm up in N before I left there are no shifting issues whatsoever. Clean and smooth in the 1-2 and 2-3 around 1700-1800 rpms. I hope it lasts and will update this in the future if the problems come back since its only been 2 days.

If anyone decides to go this route in the future I highly recommend Central Valve Bodies. The shipping was fast, packaging great, and free return shipping for the core was attached. In my opinion they have saved me thousands of $$$.

I really dont know hardly anything about transmissions, just from personal experience with my situations. But for a couple hundred dollars in a reman valve body and a case of fluid its worth a try in my opinion if your having the same issues.

·
don't feed the bears
10,668 Posts
:waiting: quick fixes on these transmissions that dont cost a fortune are always nice ot hear... keep us updated!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts