Dakota Durango Forum banner

42RE transmission issues '01 Dakota SLT 3.9L 4x4

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  chuck.lambert78 
#1 ·
2001 Dakota SLT 4x4 3.9L V6 basket case.
The transmission is acting up.

Fluid was overfilled / foamy, replaced fluid+filter & found overdrive unit 5" wave snap ring in pieces in bottom of pan (common).

Shifts & drives fine when cold.
Acts up when warmed up.

I'm contemplating removing the overdrive section from a junkyard '02 4.7L 4x4 (45RFE?) & swapping that if it does not have the same problem ($139, less than cost of the tools required to depress the killer spring and line everything back up on reinstall of new $5 snap ring).

However I'm concerned about the rest of the transmission. Would this overdrive snap ring issue allow it to drive fine when cold but have intermittent slipping/surging problems once hot, and also cause delayed shift from first to second afterwards?

I'm going to speculate that it has other additional problems in the transmission that are causing those issues.

Advice?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Also, I'm guessing although the bellhousing engine block pattern & overdrive unit are the same/compatible, that this '02 4.7L 45RFE will not swap directly due to wiring/controls differences?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.