374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cost me $60.00 for everything.

I ordered the aluminum pipe from

http://www.velocityair.cc/welcome.htm

The couplers from

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

Intake clamps from Lowes

I decided to paint the intake flat black and throw on a CST suspension sticker for the time being.

For those that know Im not a fan on intake or exhaust noise. The 4" tube is no louder at idle and crusing. In fact it seems to be tad quiter. At wot, its no louder but a lighter tone than the oem intake.

What do you all think?

Attachments

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
damn, that looks awesome!!!! is that a pic of the same pipe? how did you get that "CST" on there? sticker? very nicely done! :clap2:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks brotha..Yes, the pipe is the same pipe just painted black. I did cut the pipe shortly after taking the pic when it was chrome a little too much. But it still fits between the couplers.

The cst sticker I had laying around for while. I mainly added to get an idea of how a black sticker would flow with the flat black paint once I get either a ram or 4.7 logo before I order one.

·
3,230 Posts
yeah, that looks pretty awesome. how much did the whole deal cost? ive got the factory airbox on my 4.7 eliminated already, but id like a setup like yours, looks way better than mine.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little under $60.00 for everything. The two compaines I bought the parts from ship almost immediately.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
that looks good, especially the glossy sticker on the flat black.

i think ill be using those places for my new intake. thanks.

·
3,230 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the point, are you still using the factory airbox/filter?
yes, the factory air filter housing is retained, but it gets rid of that huge, factory airbox that sits on top of the 4.7's throttle body. like this:

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure I understand the point, are you still using the factory airbox/filter?
The factory air filter box is not really restricitve at all. It does have snorkle in the front to collect the cold air. The restriction lies in the accordion hose but mainly like 6shooter stated the 4.7 hat. Im not sure if the dakotas differ from the rams, but with my ram the 4.7 hat is hollow inside.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that looks good, especially the glossy sticker on the flat black.

i think ill be using those places for my new intake. thanks.
Thanks, gald to help

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The factory air filter box is not really restricitve at all. It does have snorkle in the front to collect the cold air. The restriction lies in the accordion hose but mainly like 6shooter stated the 4.7 hat. Im not sure if the dakotas differ from the rams, but with my ram the 4.7 hat is hollow inside.
that's true, and if you keep the box then it won't be any louder this way. it won't be louder unless you go to a cone filter. the box will be better for the engine though because it will breath much cleaner air. the stock filters being too restrictive is mostly a crock. it doesn't matter unless you are going forced induction or real high numbers. better off in the long run keeping a box style filter. i have been thinking about going back to one and doing a setup just like this.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's true, and if you keep the box then it won't be any louder this way. it won't be louder unless you go to a cone filter. the box will be better for the engine though because it will breath much cleaner air. the stock filters being too restrictive is mostly a crock. it doesn't matter unless you are going forced induction or real high numbers. better off in the long run keeping a box style filter. i have been thinking about going back to one and doing a setup just like this.
I prefer this setup for two reasons, one like you stated the quietness compared to having a cone filter intake. Second, when I go off roading I dont want want to worry about water splashing up on the exposed filter.

If you do go with this setup keep us posted.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going w/ a 14x2.5 myself, but I'm not building a 4.7.
Im not familiar with that motor? Is that the circle shaped filter that lay on top of the throttle body?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I prefer this setup for two reasons, one like you stated the quietness compared to having a cone filter intake. Second, when I go off roading I dont want want to worry about water splashing up on the exposed filter.

If you do go with this setup keep us posted.
unless you are driving through a river or water holes you should never be getting that much water up into the engine bay if you have the splash guards installed. you would want a jeep with a snorkle if that's the case.

i have about a 11" cone filter on mine currently that sits down behind the space between headlight and rad. i used the same type of alum pipe and couplers to make it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just dont want to take a chance. I know some do heavy off roading with open filter intakes and never had an issue. I do see the top of my air box dripping with water, when I hit those water holes at a high speed, and even though the truck is still vunerable to suck in water with the oem air filter box on, I rather lesson the chance of that happening.

I had an unfortunate incident many years ago with an open filter intake on a car I owned, and ever since then, is one of the two reasons I stayed away from them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
krs: i really like that idea. is the 90 degree elbow 4" on both ends or can you order a reduction from 4 to 3"? thanks! i'm with you on the noise thing. i took off my airaid because the noise was unbearable on these hilly mountain roads in WV

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks krs! I didn't scroll down the list of what they had or else I would have seen that section that clearly states Bending Reducer...duh..

·
3,230 Posts
i'm with you on the noise thing. i took off my airaid because the noise was unbearable on these hilly mountain roads in WV
my buddy put a K&N cold air on his ram with a 4.7 and its so loud, it would actually prevent me from buying one. his intake is louder in the cab than my true dual exhaust with 14" magnaflows on my 05 GMC.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts