Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
It can be done, but it's not wise.

The block will actually be weaker if you dr/tap it for 4-bolt. There were no 4-bolt main blocks made.

Good caps and a girdle.

·
I Heart Boost...and M/T's
5,951 Posts
SlammedR/T would be the best guy to ask if you are serious. He has made some serious power with a magnum block where as most everybody else is doing r3's and other blocks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to start a new engine build here soon and would like to do a high horse power turbo 390. Are there was to make the block stronger. I figured on using studs and girdles.

·
6.9 6 speed
5,421 Posts
When I went to ryan at Shady dell I told him my goal at the time was to build a really strong shortblock. I went to his shop with hughes girdle in hand and he laughed in my face when he saw it. He said it would not help at all and if I was serious then I should go with billet caps and studs. Now I know there are a few people who have had a lot of success with it but im just letting you know what a well known builders opinion is.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
I'm going to start a new engine build here soon and would like to do a high horse power turbo 390. Are there was to make the block stronger. I figured on using studs and girdles.
Use studs, and half fill the block. It will be fine.

I'm running 11.0:1 compression and and a 150 (for now) shot of spray on my 390 right now. No problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
396 Posts
On my 390 stroker I went with the Hughes stud girdle and the main studs supplied in the kit. I have been building small block Chevy's for 15+ years and and this motor was my first atempt at building a Mopar engine. The machine shop that I have always used (Shively Speed and Machine in Louisville KY)was a bit hesitant when I told them I wanted to make around 600 hp with a shot of nitrous using a 318 block. We decided to try the Hughes girdle. The machine shop performed the needed machining to install the girdle "correctly". They agreed that the stud girdle fit well and should work as others they had used in previous engine builds. The motor has now been together for 2 years and over 150 1/8th mile passes in the 7.50 range on motor and over 30 passes in the 6.80 range on a 150 shot. If your serious about making some power with the 318 block do yourself a favor and speak with an experienced engine builder on what it will take. As someone said above Shady Dell gives excellent advice and seems to have the most knowledge of anyone I've spoken with over the phone. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your build,
Mike S.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The magnum block is a lightweight casting block. Seems to be holding up to some power. A girdle will only get you a few more passes before something breaks and you'll have more to pick up off the track. Short fill, Studs, and send it down the road if it's a street strip vehicle. If there was a convenient simple material upgrade/ 2 bolt cap upgrade and it wasn't too much I'd go for it. Reason, bit of insurance against any cracks in caps. I haven't found such a product, but haven't looked too hard.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ill talk it over with my machine shop guy and go from there. Do you guys know any good turbo tuners with the trucks. there isnt alot of guys here in the stl that deal with mopar stuff so i figured on traveling. Thanks again for all ur advise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts