Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Computer at store said to use Autolite 3924 plugs. All I see on the web is to use 3923 or 5224...no mention of 3924. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
Go to the Performance Page and scroll down to the Alternative Spark Plug section and read what is there. It is a good explanation of the reasoning behind going with the 3923's. I installed the 3923's in my truck and noticed that mine idled a little smoother and I actually noticed a small increase in mpg.

J

·
0 Posts
jdc1422 said:
Computer at store said to use Autolite 3924 plugs. All I see on the web is to use 3923 or 5224...no mention of 3924. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I just did this yesterday. Went to sparkplugs.com and looked up the 4.7 Durango specific offerings...

http://sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1361821

I then went to my local auto parts store and got the NGK V-Power ZFR6F-11G

M

·
0 Posts
Don't use Autolites. I just took out a set and after only 18,000 miles they were shot. I went to the Champion Truck plug and picked back up the 3 MPG I lost with the Autolites.

I never dreamed I would be telling someone not to buy Autolites I have used them in my Ford for years.

S

·
0 Posts
Huh... you got me curious now cuz I have 15k on mine and my mpg is dropping slowly. Have to pop mine out and check them

M

·
0 Posts
My plug gaps varied from .045-.050, the tips were rounding and looked burnt, porcelain was white.

S

·
0 Posts
I guess take your pick. I'm a little leary of the Autolites now... had them in my truck for almost 17k miles now and I have lost almost 2 miles to the gallon. My driving habits haven't changed either so... I am going to pull mine out this weekend and check them.

M

·
0 Posts
I went with the Champion Truck Plug and picked back up not only my lost milage but the lost power. We'll see how these do the OEM plugs which were Champoins went 30,000 no problem.

S

·
0 Posts
mrbaddakota said:
I went with the Champion Truck Plug and picked back up not only my lost milage but the lost power. We'll see how these do the OEM plugs which were Champoins went 30,000 no problem.
Hey, MrBad do you remember what the part number was for those plugs? Give me something to do tomorrow before we partake of the beverages and plentiful bounty of food.

M

·
0 Posts
Don't have the numbers of the plugs. I just went to my local parts house and they looked them up I got the stock plug for my app. I have been really surprised at how much better they are, we just returned from a 600 mile trip for thanksgiving and we got alittle better mileage than we ever had, 16.8-16.9., 16.5-16.7 before. We have a 4x4.

S

·
0 Posts
I pulled my plugs out yesterday and they still looked brand new. so I don't know whats up with mine. Guess I better just keep my foot out of it.

L

·
0 Posts
Has anyone underwent an emissions test with 3923 installed?

Is it known if the lower temp plug will allow the engine to pass an emissions test?

M

·
0 Posts
Can't answer your question, Sorry. SS, I was thinking could your plugs be breaking down under load, but not enough to cause a miss? I remember when I was a kid I worked in a gas station, and my boss had a spark plug cleaner- tester, you could clean a plug then hook it up to a plug wire there was a button on the side and you could see how the plug was firing, as I remember you could adjust air to simulate loads, as I remember plugs could fire good under Low loads and start missing under heavy loads, and alot of times we had plugs like that that you couldn't hear or feel a miss.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

S

·
0 Posts
Huh, point taken. I hadn't thought about that. Considering its only gonna cost about 10 bux and 1 hours worth of time I think I will change em out anyway. Thanks for the idea, MrBad.

A

·
0 Posts
i did an smog test last month with the autolites 3923s and had no problems at all.theyve been in there at least six monthsand i get about 18 mpg on long trips, dont know in the city.

M

·
0 Posts
SS, Let me know what happens, I noticed a difference right away when I put in the Champion Truck plugs. When I think about it .005 in gap is not that much in my case.

·
Registered
92 Posts
how tight do you all tighten the spark plugs? I stripped one and I don't want to do it again. the book says 20 ft. lbs I think thats to much.

M

·
0 Posts
I just go by feel myself, but keep in mind I made my living as a mechanic. Dodge does say 20 FT/LB if in doubt I'd go with the torque specs.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts