Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2000 dakota has ~105K miles on it. The 4.7L w/ automatic runs tip top. Purrs like a kitten at idle and roars like a lion when you hit the gas.

Just one problem. The spark plugs have NEVER been changed. After reading the manual and seeing the interval is 30K miles, I'm scared to try to change them.

Can one of you experts tell me if these engines have the same issue that Fords have where the threads tend to come out of the heads with the plug?

Can anybody give me some suggestions to prevent it and is there a kit to fix them like the Fords have? Fords can be repaired without pulling the heads on them.

Any insight will be appreciated. :clap2:

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
You will be fine...if they have NEVER been changed then the first time is ALWAYS a beyach... So get ready for some bruised knuckles. 100,000 miles is pure neglect in my book though... I understand they say they plugs are good for over 100,000 miles but when I pulled my first set of factory plugs at only 20,000 miles the ground post was already deteriorating away and the gaps where almost double.

Get yourself a good set of NGK IRIDIUM Plugs... Those are good for high mileage and perform the best in my opinion and experience. I ran a set for more than 30,000 miles and they looked great the day I changed them. I just changed them because I felt 30,000 miles was too long to run a plug not because they looked bad.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
mhfromphila
1 Posts
I would go with the NGK IRIDIUM plugs,just because changing the plugs are a PITA. Be for you remove the plugs blow out with air around the plug area first. The hardest plug will be the passenger side rear.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Plug change on a 4.7 is gravy. Everything is right on top, pull intake tubing, remove coil packs, blow out the holes and remove the plugs.

Stick to normal copper plugs at the normal interval. I've had great luck with NGK brand but the stick champions are a favorite among mopar guys as well. Iridium plugs are silly expensive and IMO pointless for the joe average engine.

Get some dielectric grease for the boots and anti seize for the plug threads.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Plug change on a 4.7 is gravy. Everything is right on top, pull intake tubing, remove coil packs, blow out the holes and remove the plugs.

Stick to normal copper plugs at the normal interval. I've had great luck with NGK brand but the stick champions are a favorite among mopar guys as well. Iridium plugs are silly expensive and IMO pointless for the joe average engine.

Get some dielectric grease for the boots and anti seize for the plug threads.
The Iridium plugs will last 4 times (If not longer) than the Copper core plug. They do not wear down as quickly as the copper plugs do. So what you get is a plug that just runs better and longer needing fewer changes.

Iridium plugs are worth every penny! Not an opinion... its a fact.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
704 Posts
I changed my plugs at 100K miles and installed the champion iridiums, thanks for that info nick, sometimes I had wondered if maybe its time to change them again but truck runs great.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I can't give an opinion?

Chrysler found them "good enough" to use. I've never had any problems with them and odds are the majority of 4.7 owners haven't either.

Copper conducts better than Iridium. That is a fact.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Not you.

I should have quoted him, but I thought it was pretty clear I was talking at nick and his iridium 'facts'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nick is right,the iridium plugs are much better than a stock copper core plug.The life span of the plug is as important as the conductive value.Copper may be a better conductor but iridium holds better over time.Even a good set of platinum plugs would be better.I put AcDelco platinums in my durango and they've been great.Not to offend anyone but champion plugs are good for nothing but a lawn mower engine.;)

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Stick with the Champions, RC12MCC4. There is nothing wrong with them - a fact.
Agreed! All spark plugs work... fine. Some just work better and last longer than others. So you wont get me into a disagreement that copper plugs work... I know they do, I used to run them in my Pontiac. But as times changed and technology has improved so has plug design and materials used. You wont see me giving props to any of the designer plugs like slitfire or the Bosh 4 pronged plugs... But when it comes to materials used, Iridium plugs are NOT snake oil.

I guess if your driving miss daisy any old plug will do just fine so yes, grandma may never notice the difference between copper plugs or iridium plugs.

I remember being told that our factory plugs where the best plugs to use and they where 100,000 mile plugs... Wow I thought, thats a long time to run a plug...and I wore those 100,000 mile plugs down to more than doubling the plug gap in just 22,000 miles. Perhaps under my grandmothers foot they would have lasted 100,000 miles... but they did not last long at all the way I ran them. I did the same thing to the NGK V Power plugs... then I decided to try the Iridium plugs... The Iridium plugs lasted longer under just as harsh driving conditions. I put 50,000 miles on the first set and the gap had not changed a bit.... They looked great! I ran then to 75,000 miles and then decided to change them because I did not feel comfortable running a plug that long...(please note the gap never wore down in 75,000 miles) and they ran fine and burned clean... I just did not feel right running a plug that long so I changed them.

Run what ever plug you like... my experience with the Iridium plugs on the 4.7L engine is positive. The Iridium plugs ran better, and wore much less (lasting longer) than the copper core plugs.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Don't give me your shit. I gave my opinion and started it as such, get off your high horse.

Ohh I forgot I was chatting with "MR. Personality"... LMAO

Your the only one on a "high horse"... your inability to debate or discuss without swearing or turning discussions into a personal flame is key to this fact.

Run your copper plugs dude... Just as you gave your opinion... So did I, I just added a real world experience to go with my opinion... which turned my opinion into an actual hands on experience.

Iridium is an extremely hard material and lasts longer. The plug gap stays consistent longer due to less tip erosion... this means less time under the hood changing them.

But hey, what ever floats your boat.... and we all know you think you walk on water so what would you need a boat for?

Anyway... I'm sure you will find something else ignorant to say to follow up with. I'm looking forward to it. :waiting:

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
DAMN
2,166 Posts
Noticed you sell NGK's. are those what you run? I'm in need of a set for my 4.7.

Your the only one on a "high horse"... your inability to debate or discuss without swearing or turning discussions into a personal flame is key to this fact.

Run your copper plugs dude... Just as you gave your opinion... So did I, I just added a real world experience to go with my opinion... which turned my opinion into an actual hands on experience.

Iridium is an extremely hard material and lasts longer. The plug gap stays consistent longer due to less tip erosion... this means less time under the hood changing them.

But hey, what ever floats your boat.... and we all know you think you walk on water so what would you need a boat for?

Anyway... I'm sure you will find something else ignorant to say to follow up with. I'm looking forward to it. :waiting:

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Agreed! All spark plugs work... fine. Some just work better and last longer than others. So you wont get me into a disagreement that copper plugs work... I know they do, I used to run them in my Pontiac. But as times changed and technology has improved so has plug design and materials used. You wont see me giving props to any of the designer plugs like slitfire or the Bosh 4 pronged plugs... But when it comes to materials used, Iridium plugs are NOT snake oil.

I guess if your driving miss daisy any old plug will do just fine so yes, grandma may never notice the difference between copper plugs or iridium plugs.

I remember being told that our factory plugs where the best plugs to use and they where 100,000 mile plugs... Wow I thought, thats a long time to run a plug...and I wore those 100,000 mile plugs down to more than doubling the plug gap in just 22,000 miles. Perhaps under my grandmothers foot they would have lasted 100,000 miles... but they did not last long at all the way I ran them. I did the same thing to the NGK V Power plugs... then I decided to try the Iridium plugs... The Iridium plugs lasted longer under just as harsh driving conditions. I put 50,000 miles on the first set and the gap had not changed a bit.... They looked great! I ran then to 75,000 miles and then decided to change them because I did not feel comfortable running a plug that long...(please note the gap never wore down in 75,000 miles) and they ran fine and burned clean... I just did not feel right running a plug that long so I changed them.

Run what ever plug you like... my experience with the Iridium plugs on the 4.7L engine is positive. The Iridium plugs ran better, and wore much less (lasting longer) than the copper core plugs.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Noticed you sell NGK's. are those what you run? I'm in need of a set for my 4.7.
That question was for you.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
They're so good, those iridium plugs, they were OEM equipment.

Oh, wait...they weren't.

Sure, iridium plugs will work, and likely work well. But ain't nothing wrong with the OEM champions - so don't imply that there is. You may work on the 4.7's, but you sure didn't design it.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
That question was for you.
Im sorry...

YES, I ran the NGK Iridium plugs on 2002 4.7L Ram.

They're so good, those iridium plugs, they were OEM equipment.

Oh, wait...they weren't.

Sure, iridium plugs will work, and likely work well. But ain't nothing wrong with the OEM champions - so don't imply that there is. You may work on the 4.7's, but you sure didn't design it.
Wow... you guys are passionate about your low buck plugs!!!! :funny:

If some of you guys had any experience with the Iridium plugs your opinions of them would be MUCH different. AGAIN... I agree with you guys, there is nothing wrong with the factory plugs. They work just fine if you dont drive hard or demand any real performance out of your engine... the champs are for you If you drive like an old lady and you dont need them to last more than 15,000-20,000 miles (And thats stretching it)

If your looking for a plug to last more than 20,000 miles without the plug gap eroding from hard WOT driving effectively causing your performance and fuel economy to suffer... the Iridium plugs will run circles around the factory plugs. Yes they are more expensive... but they do last longer.

Im getting the feeling that I do drive much harder than some of you guys... because the copper core plugs did not make it very long without the gaps increasing substantially. Under the same driving the Iridium plugs lasted MUCH MUCH longer.

Why dont they come from the factory with iridium plugs you ask... most likely for the same reason they dont come with any performance enhancing mods... COST. And the factory does not care if your plugs last 10,000 or 100,000 miles... they just need them to last long enough. Your talking about the difference between .50 cents a plug VS a $5.00 bucks a plug... x thousands of engines... They are going to always chose the low buck plug for cost, not because its the best plug for that engines simply because its yet another way of cutting the total cost of the engine.

AGAIN, I agree that the Champs run just fine... for 6000-10,000 miles... and up to 20,000 if you baby it... (But your gap would have eroded and increased by the 20,000 mile mark without a doubt) :eek:nethumb:

I'm just saying that the Iridium plugs will run WOT 50,000+ longer without the gap eroding. <--- TRUE STORY! :banana2: :drive:

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

1 - 20 of 60 Posts