Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I also posted this in the 4.7L forum..

My 2000 Dakota has ~105K miles on it. The 4.7L w/ automatic runs tip top. Purrs like a kitten at idle and roars like a lion when you hit the gas.

Just one problem. The spark plugs have NEVER been changed. After reading the manual and seeing the interval is 30K miles, I'm scared to try to change them.

Can one of you experts tell me if these engines have the same issue that Fords have where the threads tend to come out of the heads with the plug?

Can anybody give me some suggestions to prevent it and is there a kit to fix them like the Fords have? Fords can be repaired without pulling the heads on them.

Any insight will be appreciated. :clap2:

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hi,

I can tell you that at 30k intervals my plugs are pretty much gone. Take some pictures and post them please when you are done.

No. The 4.7 does not have the same problem as the Ford. Just make sure the engine is cold and you shouldn't have any problems.

The plugs aren't hard to change. I have to loosen the hard heater hoses a bit to get at some of them but that's it. You might have a tough time getting the coils off though. Just wiggle them a bit and pull.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good news!

Thanks for your help! :bow:
It'll be a few weeks before I am able to get too them. If I have any trouble, I'll be right back here asking again. Are you looking for pics of the plugs after 105K miles? I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'd love to see the pics, yes!

Seriously, my plugs are pretty bad after 30k. I can't imagine going that long.

·
Registered
174 Posts
plug change

just take your time and remember to use anti-sieze on the spark plug threads.auto zone also has some boot grease it helps to keep the coil boot from sticking to the plugs when you change them the next time .you should only need simple hand tools ,rachet ,splug socket and 10mm socket.i've change d my about 6 or seven times. i got 194k on my 4.7 . dont waste your money on platinum plugs plain old copper {champions } work best.hope this helps and good luck.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Stay away from the gimicy plugs like E3. The only effect you'll get from them is a lighter wallet. Just take your time and you'll be fine. If the plug doesn't want to come out, don't try and force it. Soke it with penetrating lube and try again after a little bit of time. The heads are aluminum, so you won't want to strip the threads. When installing the new plugs apply a dab of anti-sieze to the threads of the new plugs to make removal easier the next time. A little dab will do ya. Also lightly lube the whole in the coil with dielectric grease to help prevent the rubber on the coil from sticking to the plugs.

Good luck...

·
I drive with two feet
1,615 Posts
Before you pull the plug out, blow all the crap out of the spark plug hole. Use a 5" spark plug socket. Once you use a 3" socket you'll know why. Use anti-sieze (already been said), torque to 20 lb/ft.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts