Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

What kind of gas mileage are you able to squeeze out of your thirsty 4.7?

For years I’ve been getting such horrible gas mileage that recently I started doing some research on engine oils and fuel additives and proactively started trying everything humanly possible to get any sort of improvement in my fuel economy.

To my surprise, I was actually able to raise my gas mileage quite significantly. With just a few engine and exhaust modifications, a tune, a little of this and that in the gas tank (wink wink) a few extra pounds of air in the tires and a switch over to 0w20 oil, and 16 new spark plugs later, and I’m now seeing numbers I never thought I’d ever get with this truck.

Before the changes I was seeing maybe 8-12mpg... on a good day. Now? 21-30mpg. Seems to get better mileage just putting around town.

I made a little video. Check it out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I range from 15-18 mpg depending upon season (fuel blends change as does the air temperature), load, and driving conditions. I use Mobil Super Synthetic 5W-20 and Fram Ultra filters with annual fuel system treatments using either SeaFoam or Lucas (the latter seems better). I'm the third owner, but got her at about 24K miles. Haven't changed any of the transmission, transfer case, or differential fluids yet. Did a coolant flush last year, probably its first. No engine mods.

I'm not very heavy on the throttle. I know that she's thirsty and when I've needed it she's had the power. But, I like to drive a little more conservatively. Saves on gas and brakes. And, with teenagers, I don't want them thinking that hot-rodding is the way to go, even if I did that when I was younger.

Do you use a weight distribution hitch with your camper? Or, do you feel like the airbags take care of it for you?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yup 15-18 is the norm for most of us. Yeah I admit I drive kind of hard, not very easy on the throttle at takeoff but I have been learning to keep a steady speed and use pulse and glide method when possible and glide to a stop instead of using the brakes. But i find once I reach cruising this truck is not bad on gas... up to 30mpg in a lifted truck on winter gas isn’t bad at all. But I find the faster I get it up to speed, the sooner the TC clutch grabs and it sort of put puts along almost idling... so I kind of mash it to get there quicker

Never did a coolant flush but the water pump was changed once so maybe it was done then

Oh Yeah I did the sea foam treatment last fall...

here’s the video of that terrifying moment...

And I change the oil every 5000 miles religiously and always run a quart of Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer with the Ultra Platinum.

I do use the weight distribution hitch in addition to the air bags. Really makes it feel like there’s nothing there, it’s a great combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport
50 Posts
My little MPG readout on the overhead console says 18 MPG. I need to calculate at a fill up to see what I'm actually getting. The previous owner just putted around in it and saw 19+ MPG, but I definitely drive it harder. I suspect it's really in the mid teens. Mine's a regular cab 2WD with a manual, so it's naturally going to get better mileage than the average 4.7 equipped truck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh. I always dreamt of converting mine to a manual. I miss shifting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have no idea what the instantaneous mpg is. I calculate mine by comparing miles covered to gallons filled at each fill-up. So, I just get an average mpg per fill-up.

Yep, mine looked like that the first time I did the SeaFoam treatment. Subsequent treatments haven't been that dramatic. But, I have noticed a slight bump in my mpg shortly after doing each treatment. Not dramatic...maybe 1-2 mpg. But, everything seems smoother.

Good to know about the WD hitch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The best I have ever gotten out of my 2001 dakota 4.7 4WD is 19.5 MPG. Historically it sits at 14.8mpg for most of its 230K miles w/ the help of cruse control. The worst was towing my boat in a 30 mph headwind... 9 mpg. I have changed the oil every 4k and drive train fluids every 60K. Interestingly this truck has the common #4 cyl. manifold leak that seals when it gets warm.. and the plugs have not been changed in 140K miles.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Behold I also have that wonderful famous manifold leak.

Maybe a job for the springtime?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an older 4.7 2003, and a couple mods, intake, exhaust, tune, 4.10's if I am easy on it I can get 19 mpg which I am very impressed with. Most trucks get significantly less than that. That newer gen 4.7 is a beast and 30 mpg is unreal but I believe it. The 4.7 is an awesome motor. I don't know why people sleep on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an older 4.7 2003, and a couple mods, intake, exhaust, tune, 4.10's if I am easy on it I can get 19 mpg which I am very impressed with. Most trucks get significantly less than that. That newer gen 4.7 is a beast and 30 mpg is unreal but I believe it. The 4.7 is an awesome motor. I don't know why people sleep on it.
I think they stepped on it because Chrysler fumbled on these PowerTech engines at first, and lots of them blew up. Badly designed heads and improper valve seat press fit clearances. All fixed in 08.

30mpg is pretty amazing for a 4x4 quad cab with a 3” lift. Especially cruising along steady at city speed the engine literally just idles along at 1000rpm and the eco meter reads 27-30mpg.

Come to think of it, they should have equipped this engine with VVT and BAS system for electric assisted takeoffs. Would have been a killer combo on this engine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think they stepped on it because Chrysler fumbled on these PowerTech engines at first, and lots of them blew up. Badly designed heads and improper valve seat press fit clearances. All fixed in 08.

30mpg is pretty amazing for a 4x4 quad cab with a 3” lift. Especially cruising along steady at city speed the engine literally just idles along at 1000rpm and the eco meter reads 27-30mpg.

Come to think of it, they should have equipped this engine with VVT and BAS system for electric assisted takeoffs. Would have been a killer combo on this engine.

You are making me want a 3rd gen Dakota lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ugh. I love it. With the super chips performance 93 tune it’s a real beast. I just switched the SC tuning from 87 to 93 and it’s insane. And now since it doesn’t take as much pedal to get going and keep speed, I found the 93 tune to the best out of all the tunes for gas mileage. I just tried them ALL tonight.

I’m still in shock

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I guess I missed something
What is the sea foam treatment?
For cleaning out carbon and top end lubrication. You put a bottle in the crank case before an oil change to remove deposits. Then remove the air intake, Shoot an entire bottle straight down her throat til she gags. Have a friend keep the rpms above 2 grand while you work the bottle. Takes a while to get the whole bottle in there. You literally spray it until it’s all gone or the truck stalls out. Wait a few minutes with engine off to “hot soak” Then start er up and watch the carbon shoot out the pipes. Thought it would be fun but it scared the crap outta me

·
Registered
23 Posts
For cleaning out carbon and top end lubrication. You put a bottle in the crank case before an oil change to remove deposits. Then remove the air intake, Shoot an entire bottle straight down her throat til she gags. Have a friend keep the rpms above 2 grand while you work the bottle. Takes a while to get the whole bottle in there. You literally spray it until it’s all gone or the truck stalls out. Wait a few minutes with engine off to “hot soak” Then start er up and watch the carbon shoot out the pipes. Thought it would be fun but it scared the crap outta me

I guess I do mine a little differently. I've used SeaFoam to clean the throttle body and added to the oil before a change. (1 oz SeaFoam per quart of oil, drive for 100-200 miles, and change oil)

But, I usually run the tank down to about 1/3 and pour in a can of SeaFoam into the fuel tank. Then, run it down to about 1/8 of a tank. Add another can of SeaFoam and fill the tank.

Or, skip the first can and just add a bottle of the Lucas Fuel Treatment and fill the tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
interesting I thought I joined this site to learn and help
Didn't know it was comedy hour?
I'M GONE

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah I did the same, just didn’t describe the method... I only mentioned that I did it. I did it this way... started with an almost empty tank, poured one can into the tank and one can in the crank case and drove around with that for a a while... maybe 45 min or so... enough to get far into the country then did the throttle body injection out in the boonies. Emptied a whole can into the throttle body while revving to 2k then shut er down. Then let it hot soak for 10 min, start it up and blow out the crap. Then we drove back to town with a trail of white smoke behind and the engine light on. Pretty much ran the tank dry, but I had extra gas in a can of needed. Got to town, filled up with gas, got an oil change and was good to go. Oh I also run a bottle of PI through with one tank full of gas every oil change as well. I only do the whole treatment maybe once a year.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
interesting I thought I joined this site to learn and help
Didn't know it was comedy hour?
I'M GONE
News for you bud... this is a special interest forum and the subject is Dodge Dakotas and Durangos.

Don’t like certain topics?

How about don’t click on conversations and topics you aren’t interested in and don’t apply to you and don’t be a friggin d*** about it. You’re only making yourself look like a sad Debbiedowner basement dwelling keyboard warrior by making such idiotic comments. You do realize that’s called TROLLing right? Don’t be a troll. Let others enjoy discussing their topics of interest.

God bless.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In case you missed it,
ADULTS would call that humor,
And NOT react like a school girl who just wet there panties.
I was infact intrigued with this method and good for you for doing it and sharing.
The fact your so quick to be condescending and rather nasty speaks volumes
GROW UP! My own grown kids don't act this way
Better yet grab a bible and learn patience, kindness, and love thy neighbor
Maybe then you can open your heart and get rid of your bitterness

1 - 20 of 25 Posts