Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a lifted 2001 dodge dakota quad cab. I have krc 206 cams, intake, and exhaust work. It is a 5 speed. I have on order right now a turbo and necessary components. Jba headers will be ordered soon, along with the intercooler to finish it up. Also the rancho rs 9000 with control adjuster for in the cab is sitting at my store to be put in. I'm wondering what you think about leaving the lift on or putting it back to stock. I'm leaning twards stock. The mods as far as the turbo go, i'm looking a max of $2,500, to get the job done, all new components. I expect just over 500 hp at the motor, with 8 psi of boost. heres a pic to help tell me if i should put it back to stock hight.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/834000-834999/834664_2_full.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The turbo and almost all other components should be in next week. I hope to have the turbo and headers set up by next weekend. I'll keep pics posted and let everyone know how it goes. that would be week of May 8th or 9th, when i get parts in to start to turbo project.

·
auto tech
113 Posts
where did you get your turbo and all the other componets from. I want to put a turbo on my truck and i would like to know where you got the stuff and how the install goes are you doing it yourself or getting someone to do

·
Registered
284 Posts
Good luck, keep the pictures coming...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tubo is a t70 housing on the compressor side - i will post pics when it gets here. Its a oild and water cooled unit. Oh as a side note, i just installed the rancho 9000 series with the in cab control. its a nice piece i must say. The truck has 3.92 gears with a posi if anyone cares. Krc 206 cams also. I also work at a yamaha harley and suzuki shop in northern pa. Well my parents own it. Perk i get to use all the tools ;).
As far as the turbo i put 500 down on it. along with the wastegate, don't remember exact price, i will find out tomorrow and post it. Most of the components should be in this week.

ok heres the list
down pmt 500 turbo+wastegate = 500
JBA Stainless headers = 468
Tile BOV = 220
autometer guages (cobault)(expensive side but I liked it)
EGT = 161
vac/boost=169
I'm looking a budget of about 2500 - 2700 including fuel injection problems

still need to find a intercooler, and some piping components. I'm looking on e-bay tonight for those items now. I want all the parts in this week. Also i think tomorrow the body lift is comming off. Its got 81,000 miles on it, and the lift is starting to squeek like body kits do. So instead of buying that new ram, spending 20,000. I'm going to give mine a different attitude with the turbo and keep it. I think i'm caught up now. If anyone wants to call and talk, call 814-435-6548 This is my work, ask for jordan.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rodney 18, i will post the places tomorrow once i get the payment and turbo on the way. I want to make sure the place dose what they should, oh i forgot the turbo has a 6 month warranty on it. But also i was told it should start to spool arround 2800 rpm. you can call the store if you want tomorrow, if you don't want to wait for me to get back to you guys on here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
for an intercooler you can use the stock one off an old dodge conquest/mitsu starion. They are front mount and they're actually pretty big for a factory intercooler. Just do a search at www.car-parts.com. For tubing just buy a big U shaped piece of mandrel bent exaust tubing from jcwhitney.com and coat the outside with high temp ceramic paint to handle the heat issues and then just cut it down to make all the bends and turns you need. Then to connect it all together just buy silicon tubing to use as couplings and generic clamps.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the turbo is completed and done. the truck runs good, the pics should be up in about 2 to 3 days. no definates on hp yet. also i purchased a junk yard 4.7l block to build for the turbo, in the comming summer. I'm running between 7 and 8 psi. I used a split second controller to add fuel with additional injectors. 4 65 lb injectors were added and are working great with the setup.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
also i custom built a return fuel system. With a walbro in take pump. The turbo is a t70 with a t3/t4 hybrid hot side. Their is a 2 foot section of 3" downpipe to get the pipe back under the truck. Then its all 4 " with no muffler or converter. I am able to hit 8 psi in 1st gear with 3.92 gears. The truck is a 4 door now mind, also a 4x4 so it is heavy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Pics!!! Oh man, I want a turbo! :banana2:

·
Turbo Dakota Junkie
1,912 Posts
Awesome!!! Another 4.7 turbo on the road!
7 or 8 psi of boost should make between 350 and 370 hp from an otherwise stock 4.7 engine. Those 4 65# injectors scare me if you're running the stock beer barrel intake. Fuel likes to puddle in these intakes and can be a bad thing when it happens. Where is the turbo mounted? Where are you returning the oil from the turbo to?

·
just rockin'
619 Posts
Duner said:
Awesome!!! Another 4.7 turbo on the road!
7 or 8 psi of boost should make between 350 and 370 hp from an otherwise stock 4.7 engine. Those 4 65# injectors scare me if you're running the stock beer barrel intake. Fuel likes to puddle in these intakes and can be a bad thing when it happens. Where is the turbo mounted? Where are you returning the oil from the turbo to?
duner, will you post pics of your turbo manifold and plumbing? i bought a turbo and reading corky bell's book which seems like rocket science to me. i would like to get an idea of what the setup looks like.

·
just rockin'
619 Posts
:biggthump

wow, that's some serious fab work, thanks. are those all the exhaust components pictured? can you elaborate as to how that puzzle is put together?

·
Turbo Dakota Junkie
1,912 Posts
On left side:
The top pipe in the pic is the crossover from the driver's side
The 2nd pipe down is the headpipe that bolts directly to the turbine side of the turbo. This includes the bypass pipe that runs to the wastegate.
The 3rd pipe down is the downtube that runs to the rest of the exhaust system , and in it is the bung for the O2 sensor.
The 4th big piece on the left is the passenger side exhaust manifold that includes the mount for the turbo, mount for the wastegate and also the tube that connects to the top crossover pipe.
Between the top and second pipes on the left is the turbine blanket (heat shield) and oil line for the turbo.
The center top is the 72mm F&B throttle body with intake tube attached. Also included with this part is the Bosch blowoff valve with air filter and outerwear cover.
Below that is the actual turbo itself with the K&N filter attached and outwerwear cover.
Directly below that (the round part) is the Deltagate adjustable wastegate.
Next to that the aluminum piece is the return oil manifold that bolts to the front of the head and sits directly behind the oil fill standpipe.
Below that are the fuel lines, fuel pressure sending unit, aux. fuel pump and Vortech FMU.
On the right hand side at the top is the reservoir for the water/alcohol injection system.
Below that is the pillar mount gauge pod with A/F gauge (useless), fuel pressure gauge and boost pressure gauge.
What's missing from the picture are the heat shields for the PCM and the air/water intercooler system, (intercooler itself, 2.5 gallon reservoir, pump and hoses) as well as the KB boost-a-pump.

Other than these couple of items there's nothing to it!

·
just rockin'
619 Posts
nothing to it he says... :clap2: thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I spred the 4 injectors troughout the intake instead of one on top of the other like everone else. Everytime i pull the plugs the burn looks great. I have been pushing 7 8 psi constant no problems yet. I sometimes touch nine. I also am running jba headers, krc 206 cam, stiffer valve springs. the turbo is mounted in the same place as the other one shown. I can a 2 ft section of 3" for a down pipe, then its 4" the whole way. The turbo hits 8 or 9 psi in first gear. the t70 was suppose to be to big but turned out to work awsome. dyno run scheduled for monday. I had to run an ngk # 7 heat range irridium plug to keep spark, and also to keep it cool enough. I have the vehical out to college now. the vehical also is intercooled. deltagate 2 waste gate. tile 50 mm blow off valve

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'm running an fmic. i also am saving for the piston and rod combo to run 20+ psi i have a set f american racing 20x8.5 rims with 285 50 20 st kelly tires. The truck will be posted soon. gotta talk to the roomate to get ahold of his camera.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts