Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan on swapping out the 4.7 in my 2000 cc 4x4. does anyone know if the 45rfe tranny will jive with a 5.9 or will i have to get the 46re tranny and transfer case to go with it. from my research through the factory service manual all i will need is the left and right engine support mounts, rubber motor mounts, and a 5.9 with wiring harness and pcm which should be easy considering the ram trucks, vans and dakotas all came with the same 5.9 engine. it looks like the front axle, front frame dimensions, and cooling fan and shroud are the same. also the 45rfe has a seperate tranny control moduale and i don't know if it will notice a 5.9 as aposed to a 4.7. in my head and on paper everything seems doable, but real world is totally differnet. any info you guys have would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
The 45RFE will NOT work with a 5.9 in front of it, since it would need the TCM to control it. You would have to swap in a 46RE as well. For no reason in the world would I recommend someone to swap out a 45RFE for a 46RE, especially if it was to put in a 5.9.

You're MUCH better off for power and ease to swap in a 5.7 like I did. The 5.7 uses the 45RFE just like the 4.7 does, but the 5.7 will give you a 5th gear because of the programming. For more information, see my Hemi swap thread.

·
Pro-Beater Class
679 Posts
I see no point in doing it. Like yellowkota said it much more worth your time and money to do something else like a hemi. And if power is what your going for just do cams, intake and a flash and that 4.7 will be out runnin alot of 5.9's

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
dont the 4.7 have amost the same HO and TQ rating as the 5.9 does. sure theres more mods for the 5.9 but thats only becasue the enginge has been around for a long time. only thing that the 4.7 has is it gets better gas mileage than the 5.9. so I would keep the 4.7 and wait for more mods to come out. you know they are comming. it just takes time. but you can go the 5.7 if you really want to do an enging swap. that would be cool to have a hemi. I wish I had the funds to do that to mine.

·
Pro-Beater Class
679 Posts
the 4.7 is also a lighter engine

·
Registered
333 Posts
5.9 is still the big dog :mullet:

However, that being said.. swapping it in place of your 4.7 is 100% not worth it. Beef up your 4.7, or try to swap in a Hemi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info, i just got back from mojave viper in 29 palms. i just wanted to get a feel for the consensious out there. i will for the ho upgrade and maybe think of a hemi swap down the line. thanks again

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,743 Posts
While the stuff posted is correct for the most part, if you have your heart set on it these guys can probably help since I think they sell a standalone controller, however HEMI would be better IMO.
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/

·
92_360_Kota
21 Posts
I have a 360 in my Dakota and If I had to choose I would go 5.7, only because its a newer design. My 5.9 has served me very well over the years. I bought my truck already swapped and have since only done small mods. Ive also already replaced my transmission(the stock auto-tranny for a 318) after it blew after only 35'000 km's since the engine swap for a 5 spd tranny.( I had a shift kit in it at one point but ripped it out for the 5 spd) Havent had a problem since but I'm not as hard on it now. Although I do regularly haul up to 7500 lbs trailers for work.I have also had over 2000lbs in the bed with no problem other then a bit of wheel rubbing.( I have extra leafs and over-load springs, upgraded brakes and a brakeman)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Revival is good sometimes...For guys that dont have the money to swap a hemi or the knowledge. The 5.9 might not be a bad option.? Maybe

·
Registered
418 Posts
Revival is good sometimes...For guys that dont have the money to swap a hemi or the knowledge. The 5.9 might not be a bad option.? Maybe
5.9 is a horrible option for the 4.7 guys, pretty much everything has to be swapped or upgraded. 5.7 swap would end up costing less $$$ IMO.

Also a 5.9 is a weak engine compared to even a 4.7 with HO cams. A 4.7 with Superchips and HO cams would spank a 5.9 fairly easily. The HO 4.7 is 260HP & 330 TQ STOCK and peak gains are about 40 HP and 50 TQ from Superchips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same question, I have a 2002 5.9 4x4 Dakota that has a salvage title. I see a few 4.7 Dakotas on craigslist with bad motors. I was wondering what it would take to put my 5.9 into one of those. There may be some issues with the tranny in my 5.9 so I was hoping it would bolt up to the tranny of the 4.7. Oh well, guess I'll figure something else out.

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
i have a 2003 dodge durango can i put the 5.9 in it instead of the 4.7. the one i have is messed up.
I had the same question, I have a 2002 5.9 4x4 Dakota that has a salvage title. I see a few 4.7 Dakotas on craigslist with bad motors. I was wondering what it would take to put my 5.9 into one of those. There may be some issues with the tranny in my 5.9 so I was hoping it would bolt up to the tranny of the 4.7. Oh well, guess I'll figure something else out.
:noob:
You both did not read the previous comments and see that the 4.7 and 5.9 run completely different from each other and will not work with each others transmissions or PCM's.
I swear I see this way too much; new user asks the same question as the OP and don't bother to read or search for the answer, they want someone to tell them. It's honestly like what is said about a lot of kids these days being entitled or don't want to spend the time doing the hard stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:noob:
You both did not read the previous comments and see that the 4.7 and 5.9 run completely different from each other and will not work with each others transmissions or PCM's.
I swear I see this way too much; new user asks the same question as the OP and don't bother to read or search for the answer, they want someone to tell them. It's honestly like what is said about a lot of kids these days being entitled or don't want to spend the time doing the hard stuff.
Maybe YOU did not read the previous comments, in my post I said I "had" the same question, not "have". meaning that I read the other post and learn that it would not bold up with out doing more then just dropping in the larger engine. Also the last line of my post, "guess I'll figure something else out." If YOU would take the time to read or learn to understand simple English you could interpret this to realize that I understood the helpful post of other members. Sir, think before you post, and if you don't have anything nice or helpful, stay off the keyboard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
5.9 is a horrible option for the 4.7 guys, pretty much everything has to be swapped or upgraded. 5.7 swap would end up costing less $$$ IMO.

Also a 5.9 is a weak engine compared to even a 4.7 with HO cams. A 4.7 with Superchips and HO cams would spank a 5.9 fairly easily. The HO 4.7 is 260HP & 330 TQ STOCK and peak gains are about 40 HP and 50 TQ from Superchips.
Well in my situation its worth more putting in the 5.9 gas engine because I’m getting a whole gen II Ram 5.9 L for less than 500 bucks with low miles. My 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 has a 4.7 L that had a long block put in less than 20,000 miles, the timing skipped a tooth. So in other words it bent the valves and knocked holes in the piston due to being a zero tolerance engine. The Warranty will not transfer due to it being sold to me. I’ve priced a new 4.7 it going to cost me $3,000 for that. To me its worth a good hard running 5.9 my only problem I’m going to run into is the motor mounts, does anyone have any ideas of how to fabricate some to work or do they make some conversion mounts I can’t find any so I doubt they do. Any advice would be appreciated don’t need the negative hate on a ole 5.9 engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts